Editing help

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by CW Jones, Jun 16, 2009.

1. CW Jones

CW Jones TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Alright so I took the family picture last weekend and my grandmother would like to see what I have.... I took these with my SX110is

Now I know the background isnt good at all... but thats the best I could do because she wanted it taken on the deck of the restaurant... even tho I told her it wasn't a good spot at all... that aside my biggest issue is the sky which I knew when I took the shot so I did some manual bracketing and underexposed by one and 2 stops to try and get the blown out sky to actually be the right tone haha

I am just really having an issue getting the sky to look right. the faces are good in picture 2323 so I need to use that one, as far as the sky I am not sure which looks better. any photoshop guru's out there have a few mins to spare to help me out?

these are the 3 pictures :thumbup:

good one of the people
    [​IMG]

one stop under
    [​IMG]

2 stops under
    [​IMG]

I tried putting up the biggest size possible... if anyone really thinks they can help I could send the full size images...

2. Baaaark

Baaaark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Okay, so you learned a valuable rule... Uneven lighting... SUCKS!!!

See how the sweet girl at the bottom is brighter than everyone else? THat's a bummer. These photos are going to be really hard to improve over what they are.

In the future, make sure you're in a place where your foreground and background are in nice, even, unharsh light.

3. CW Jones

CW Jones TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yup lesson learned :( I could tell the lighting wasn't going to be great... but I didn't think it was THIS bad haha thats why I asked for help, I can use CS3 and GIMP pretty well... but I know there are plenty of people on here that are MUCH better than me with those programs

4. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You should have used a flash (diffused and preferably not the built in). Should have shot like the 2 stops underxposed and used the flash to fill light your group of people.

I did a quick fix on the 1 stop underexposed one. Someone could probably do better by combining the sky from the third photo into the first in PS...mine's just some filters in Capture NX2.

[​IMG]
    I could probably do better if I wasn't heading out the door. Download a program called the Gimp and play around with it. It's free and you can probably do a better job than my quick edit with it.

5. c0ps

c0ps TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    best I can do in 5 min just to show ya, grab the sky from your prefered pic and copy it to your prefered exposure

[​IMG]

6. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If you have Photoshop, simply use the first and third image, lay one on top of the other. On the topmost image, apply a Layer Mask. You then paint "in" the details from the top image that you want over the bottom image. In this case the sky.

In future, your best bet would be to apply your on camera flash. Do not listen to the myths (and there will be many) that insist that on-camera flash is nasty. Out in the sun as you were, its going to look a lot better than indoors.

7. CW Jones

CW Jones TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    wow thank you all sooo much for helping out! I unfortunately only have GIMP on my laptop. I know how to use CS3.... just dont have it :( those edited ones do look great tho! I really appreciate the help, and I am sure my grandparents will too!
    I am working on getting a new DSLR in the next month or so as well, which will include a nice off-camera flash and I will hopefully be able to get better results with that. I know I messed up BIG time and I wish I could call everyone up and do it again... but they are kinda far away so that stinks!

Again thank you all so much!

8. c0ps

c0ps TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Only problem with that is people have moved around and changed positions, still doable just takes little more time and by the sounds of it, he does not have photoshop

9. CW Jones

CW Jones TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    lol ya those little girls move around a LOT haha hard to get them to sit still for even one picture

10. brysons

brysons TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Follow the same instructions in The GIMP and you should be able to get similar results. It's a very competent program, altho it seems that certain operations result in things like aliasing issues - plus the interface is just bad. Although Photoshop's new "You can't see all of the options because you are in the wrong workspace" has been driving me nuts since I started using it again!

11. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I took a stab at editing your photo, hope you don't mind. :)

[​IMG]

12. CW Jones

CW Jones TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ahahahahahhahahahahahaha omg thats amazing!!!!!!!!!!