EDITING...What is your tool of preference?

joemrk3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone! I am new to photo forum and just wanted to say "hello".

I currently use a standard apple magic mouse as my "editing tool" - I am thinking of switching to a wacom tablet (large). I just am looking to get some feedback on the tablet and if there are other options out there.

Thanks for the time

Joe

Wacom tablets are the bomb (1996 called and want's the phrase back).

There are other tablets available, but I've seldom heard that any are better than what you can get from Wacom. Larger tablets are nice to use, but can take up a lot of desk space.

I use my tablet only when actually touching up/editing an image, but I still use a mouse for simple things like adjusting sliders, choosing options and just general computing.

I've got 2 Wacom Inuits 4 and I love them. Best investment I ever made. I also bought the various painting pens. I couldn't live without them. In fact, I don't even have a mouse on my workstation anymore.
Photoshop mag just came out with a nice article about how to get used to it. (Basically hide your mouse). Once you get used to it, you will breeze through photos. LoveLoveLove my Wacoms.

What I think would be cool (and maybe they make something like this already) is a much more accurate touch screen that you could use a stylus directly on the screen. I assume the tablets that you are referring to are like a mat that sits on your desk with a little stylus, but you still have to watch the screen to know where you are, correct?

That IS cool, is that what you are using BigMike? That doesn't seem like a terrible price as long as the image quality is up to par with other high-end monitors. I couldn't find it, but are they IPS displays? Not that I am going to buy one, but I am curious now.

I've seen that monitor, and while I love all things Wacom, I think my arm would get really tired.

The Intuos 4 Medium was plenty big for me, and requires smaller strokes which seemed to aid precision. I just sold mine. I had gotten a Cintiq a couple of months back, which is even more the bomb.

That IS cool, is that what you are using BigMike? That doesn't seem like a terrible price as long as the image quality is up to par with other high-end monitors. I couldn't find it, but are they IPS displays? Not that I am going to buy one, but I am curious now.
Ha ha...no. That thing cost as much as my whole computer & peripherals. I just have a tiny 'Bamboo' tablet.

I use a mouse for most editing... I am obsessed with reducing post processing to the absolute minimum, but I also do a lot of greenscreen compositing work, so, obviously, I need to work with those images extensively... for that, i do most of the work on my PC with a mouse, and then I bring the image to my Slate PC (Motion Computing) for final details and hand painting hair details and edge details that might suffer green screen 'wrap around'...

My GF uses a wacom tablet, but I'm not fond of the feel of it after being able to edit on my slate and 'hand paint" directly on the image on the screen...

Wow, I feel a bit rustic here.

Started off with a mouse on my PC. Then I saw a sale on Bamboo tablets at a local store so I picked one up. I had that thing for about a week and I took it back and exchanged it as I hated it.

Then I picked up a Laptop for mobile editing and (HP's wannabe Macbook) and have since ditched the mouse and use the track pad purely. It is incredibly accurate, and I'm fairly quick with it.

So I guess to each his own.

Wow, I feel a bit rustic here.

Started off with a mouse on my PC. Then I saw a sale on Bamboo tablets at a local store so I picked one up. I had that thing for about a week and I took it back and exchanged it as I hated it.

Then I picked up a Laptop for mobile editing and (HP's wannabe Macbook) and have since ditched the mouse and use the track pad purely. It is incredibly accurate, and I'm fairly quick with it.

So I guess to each his own.

I'm with you! I have a 15" MacBook Pro, and I've used it so much for editing, that the trackpad now feels much, much more precise and smooth to me compared to any mouse I've used. I was wondering what I would have to do when I move up to a Mac Pro tower, but then they game out with the Track Pad mouses that is basically the same track pad as the MBP, but larger and as a peripheral. I'v never used a tablet, but I think I would be happy with the larger version of the Track Pad. Would still like to try a tablet though.

I agree with the reduction in editing needed to begin with. If the editing work becomes too much, I'm open for ways to make it go faster, but I'm even more interested in ways to make less editing necessary.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back