Egret at Bolsa Chica Wetlands

That 2nd edit looks great. I like when white is white! Good one Charlie and good pic.

Thanks Charlie for the edit. Your edit looks much better. I like the white adjustment. It makes the Egret pops out. Comparing your edit and mines side by side, now I see that my edit is underexpose. I still need to mess around with light room. By the way, when taking pictures of birds like these, is using "spot metering" correct? I have a Nikon D5100 at the moment (thinking of getting the Nikon D7100 when it's out) which has Matrix metering, Center-weighted metering, and the spot metering. What settings do you guys use?

Thanks,

Wackii... if you metered on the Egrets, you could have probably gone a 1/2 to a full stop of + EC (your Exif states you were spot metering).

I still find your edits a little underexposed. Laptops are hard to work with.. as any change in the display angle really changes what you will see.

I did a edit (just brightness) on my calibrated IPS panel... should be close. Did a curves adjustment with the white dropper on the brightest part of the bird...

Your edit is on top.. mine is on bottom

View attachment 38564
View attachment 38565

Thanks Charlie for the edit. Your edit looks much better. I like the white adjustment. It makes the Egret pops out. Comparing your edit and mines side by side, now I see that my edit is underexpose. I still need to mess around with light room. By the way, when taking pictures of birds like these, is using "spot metering" correct? I have a Nikon D5100 at the moment (thinking of getting the Nikon D7100 when it's out) which has Matrix metering, Center-weighted metering, and the spot metering. What settings do you guys use?

Thanks,

I use spot metering almost exclusively... since that give me the most control of where I want metered! I use it for macro, landscapes, architecture, people, animals... everything I shoot. That is right for me... but may not be right for everyone. I shot for a decade with 35mm Olympus OM4's.. which had spot metering capability, and spot metering became the way I knew best.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back