Engagement Session from 9/19/17. Pic heavy.

Thanks Braineack! If you don't mind, which ones from the full set did you like more? I like to hear others perspectives on what they like. It helps me critique myself.

I think the biggest thing I'm noticing with your shots is the framing. Some of them are a little too tight for my liking, and where you don't get a sense of the environment around them. 10 and 11 are good examples versus 14, 15 and 16. I realize the first two are more candid and you captured an awesome moment between them, but to me when I look, they just kind of look odd in the frame. A super close up here of the facial expressions could have been cool. The later set made good use of the surrounding elements to give the shot a unique element. I like #16 and how you've framed them above the railing and how it runs OOF in the foreground.

The shots of her drinking water are shots I struggle with. To me they look odd, I don't like the angle shooting down on her and I don't like the angles of the vertical elements, and she's just kind of there in frame. I know it was a cute moment, and I'm pretty sure I know why you took the shot, but I wish there was a better creative solution to it. again, I struggle here.

A few others have unusual angles that don't quite work--I realize you're probably experimenting--but ones like 96 and 96 don't work for me. luckily you have so many other winners in the entire set. But this is good because you're able to find out what works or doesn't work without them all being shot the same way.

Some others are they are low in the frame like 98-100. I have this exact same problem -- it's usually tied to my focus point with my very small focus areas and using the center point.

a lot of them are the same pose over and over, there's some funny faces here and there, but one thing I've learned is that you can't always rely on the subjects to pose perfectly and sometimes you gotta make the magic. Having some reference shots on a phone to refer back to might help you get some creative juices flowing.

I quite like #7 -- I'd just bring up the shadows in the faces a bit, especially on hers.

#12 is a cool shot to get the detail of the ring. I like the idea of tossing in shots like these of details of holding hands and very shallow DOF.

you picked #21 to share, I like #20 better. The way she's looking at him is perfect.

#46 is really cool with the leading line of the wall and then going back to OOF -- I personally like this sort of shot. I'd edit out the power box.

#68 is great. I'm a fan of backlit scenes.

I like the attempt at #65 -- keep experimenting with that.

I like almost all the shots along the brick wall 80-87 -- 87 is a great shot of the guy.

#88 makes more sense as a silhouette to me -- I would have tossed the one shown here :p

Thanks Braineack! If you don't mind, which ones from the full set did you like more? I like to hear others perspectives on what they like. It helps me critique myself.

I think the biggest thing I'm noticing with your shots is the framing. Some of them are a little too tight for my liking, and where you don't get a sense of the environment around them. 10 and 11 are good examples versus 14, 15 and 16. I realize the first two are more candid and you captured an awesome moment between them, but to me when I look, they just kind of look odd in the frame. A super close up here of the facial expressions could have been cool. The later set made good use of the surrounding elements to give the shot a unique element. I like #16 and how you've framed them above the railing and how it runs OOF in the foreground.

The shots of her drinking water are shots I struggle with. To me they look odd, I don't like the angle shooting down on her and I don't like the angles of the vertical elements, and she's just kind of there in frame. I know it was a cute moment, and I'm pretty sure I know why you took the shot, but I wish there was a better creative solution to it. again, I struggle here.

A few others have unusual angles that don't quite work--I realize you're probably experimenting--but ones like 96 and 96 don't work for me. luckily you have so many other winners in the entire set. But this is good because you're able to find out what works or doesn't work without them all being shot the same way.

Some others are they are low in the frame like 98-100. I have this exact same problem -- it's usually tied to my focus point with my very small focus areas and using the center point.

a lot of them are the same pose over and over, there's some funny faces here and there, but one thing I've learned is that you can't always rely on the subjects to pose perfectly and sometimes you gotta make the magic. Having some reference shots on a phone to refer back to might help you get some creative juices flowing.

I quite like #7 -- I'd just bring up the shadows in the faces a bit, especially on hers.

#12 is a cool shot to get the detail of the ring. I like the idea of tossing in shots like these of details of holding hands and very shallow DOF.

you picked #21 to share, I like #20 better. The way she's looking at him is perfect.

#46 is really cool with the leading line of the wall and then going back to OOF -- I personally like this sort of shot. I'd edit out the power box.

#68 is great. I'm a fan of backlit scenes.

I like the attempt at #65 -- keep experimenting with that.

I like almost all the shots along the brick wall 80-87 -- 87 is a great shot of the guy.

#88 makes more sense as a silhouette to me -- I would have tossed the one shown here :p
Thanks for taking the time to provide the feedback, I appreciate it! You've made some great suggestions. I particularly like the idea of keeping some reference shots on my phone. I remember thinking about that some time ago, but forgot about trying it. You were also spot on with your observation about experimenting. I still haven't yet developed a large repertoire of poses, so there is quite a bit of trial and error on every shoot. I have heard one school of thought about culling similar shots down to only one of that pose, but I seem to prefer providing several slight variants, if I have them. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like people often have slightly different tastes than I do, or for some reason may prefer a small difference in one photo over another.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back