Entry Level Lens

g2k556

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been using a casio p&s camera for a while now and i've finally got the money to upgrade to a dslr. I've done a bit of research and settled on a rebel xt. Now i've been try to find a solid lens, but there are so many to choose from and so many different types. I will be doing photography from the nature side of things. i'm interested in both close up and far away. I'd also like to do some wild life photography too. I'm pretty new to the photography world, so i haven't yet found what i like to photograph the most yet, so i'm looking for a lens that has more of a broad range of function to experience more. The xt will cost me about $390 and i don't want the overall price to go much higher than $800. So if you guys could give me maybe 2 or 3 different lens too look at in my price range, i will go and read some more reviews on them. Any input will be much appreciated. Thanks, Gavin.

I would look at the Tamrom 70-300 Di LD for your long zoom. It is inexpensive, and other than some purple fringing in high contrast scenes, it is a damn good lens for the money. I love mine, and it also does psuedo macro , and now I believe you can pick one up for about $160 online. The Sigma 17-70 is a really popular lens too, and is in the $400 range, maybe a bit cheaper. you would be covered from 17-300 MM with those two lenses.

sigma : http://www.adorama.com/SG1770EOS.html

tamron : http://www.adorama.com/TM70300DEOS.html

here are a few "macro" and regular shots from my Tamron 70-300

2465313349_8d5b803a88_o.jpg

2465324247_76fb2ccbf8_o.jpg

2523141444_c93c40c872_o.jpg

2523135768_60e1d12219_o.jpg

I don't disagree or anything but I have a question Stratman. Why are sharpened and processed images useful for showing off or demonstrating a lens?

he is on a budget, so he will not be able to buy GREAT lenses, but these two will do just fine for him. And believe me, I am no photoshop guru, so there wasn't a lot of processing done on these. Resizing, cropping, and a bit of sharpening, that's about it

I agree with Bifurcator - there are some really good and cheap prime lenses out there, but unless you know you want one for a specific reason its almost impossible to choose one and know what you are really getting without some experience first.
I learnt a lot from my sigma 70-300mm macro and it gave me a wide focal range and macro to play with. The results were not stella and I did find that these sorts of lenses do push you to get at least a cheap tripod if not a very good one to hold them steady on (helps a lot with sharpness).
From there I was able to pick up a lot of skills which I can now take and apply directly to the better lenses and also be able to make a more informed desision about where to spend serious money on newer and more specific kit.

As for Birfuricators comment Stratman I think he is getting at the fact that its very hard to actually get a fully soft websized shot from a DSLR and lens unless the original is a hopless shot to start with - which is why you cannot judge the quality of a lens by photos posted online. Not only is post processing and editing applied, but specific conditions at the time of shooting, the skill of the photographer, the type of camera body and also if any support was used all factor in to determin the overall quality of a shot. The lens is a key part to this (far more than the body) but its still very hard to judge - only judge based on 100% crops of unedited shots - even then its hard to really tell

I agree, but, I just thought I'd post a few examples of what the Tamron will do. I am nowhere near a pro photographer, and believe me, I get my fair share of lousy shots, BUT, the vast majority of them are user error, not the equipment. The OP said he had a relatively small budget, so I just made a few suggestions of well reviewed lenses that won't break the bank, and I actually have one of them in my kit, and love it. :wink: I would love to have a 70-200 F2.8, but I am not in a position to spend $1k on ONE lens at this time, ugh, and if he wants one of those for a Canon, AND wants it image stabilized, he'll have to spend a LOT more than that.

And all of those shots are hand held at 300MM ;)

I agree, but, I just thought I'd post a few examples of what the Tamron will do.

Yeah, it's fun to post images - there's no denying that - especially when they're good like yours! But in all fairness to someone who may not know the specifics, these shots have almost nothing to do with "what the Tamron will do". Seriously, I can put a super cheap teleconverter on my really crappy 28-200 built in P&S lens and get those same shots - hand held.

Now if we could use identical or near identical environments and use the same camera body, and shoot test images of the same things (like maybe http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/res-chart.html or other color & contrast charts) with the various lenses in question then comparing those results would be useful.

Last edited:
Sheesh !!! Sorry I tried to help. Instead of refuting my efforts, why don't you provide some advice???

Last edited:
Huh? I didn't link to 9 different lenses (including a Tamron or two)? I didn't give my advice on lenses? I didn't also agree with your advice? I didn't link you very high level advice on lens testing? Oh, I thought I did all those things. (??) Sorry man, I'll do better next time! :thumbup:

thanks for the lens to look into. and does anyone know of a very trust worthy site to order from, because I don't have a camera store near me and newegg.com, an online electronics store that i've used a lot, just took the rebel xt off it's site :/ and i was going to order it next week. what luck i have, lol. thanks again. :)

B&H photo, Adorama, Amazon.com check those out, and you'll be fine. Beware of places that have VERY low prices compared to those, there are some sites that are total rip offs out there for camera gear.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back