Facebook for commercial use?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by tirediron, Aug 2, 2010.

1. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Okay, it seems I'm the last person on the planet who doesn't actually use Facebook. I'm hearing more and more about businesses having a Facebook presence, but I'm afraid I know nothing and was hoping for some insight - looking at Facebook's website has left me more confused!! :confused:

So: -Is it worthwhile to maintain a business presence on Facebook?

-Does Facebook differentiate between commercial and non-commerical users and if so, in what ways?

-For those people who do maintain a business presence there, how worthwhile do you find it compared to a traditional website?

Any other tips, tricks, suggestions, and thoughts you might have would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    ~John

2. mwcfarms

mwcfarms No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I know of a ton of amatuer photographers and proffesionals who use social media to market there business. Facebook, youtube, linkdin, twitter. Facebook has tonnes of traffic so basically its free advertising on a daily basis. Thats awesome in my mind. All it takes is a couple people, and then a couple of their friends and a couple of theirs etc. Amazing exposure really. Some people might think that its tacky but if it gets word of mouth out there and its free, who cares. I dont think it differentiates at all between commercial or non. I think you can pay to have advertising on there but why pay when you can do it yourself for free. Most of the photographers that I know on facebook maintain both a fb page and a proffesional site. Just my thoughts on it.

3. eric-holmes

eric-holmes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Check out my page (see link). I am currently hosting an event called "Cutest Kid Contest". You know parents want to show off their kid and have the "cutest kid". I have gained 400 fans in 2 weeks and it keeps growing. You should check it out. Message me if you have any questions.

4. VJS

VJS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Facebook is great for what you're asking. Get everyone you know to know you're now on Facebook. Start a group to showcase your photography. Invite everyone on your friends' list. Get them to invite everyone on theirs.

Works great, no lies. I'd say at least 85% of my sales are through Facebook. 100% of the people stuff I do is through Facebook.

You can create an account for you and do the above. Or you could create and account with your Business Name and do the same w/out having to create a group. Personally, I keep the group. It allows me to have only people I really know seeing my personal work ; my family, my sister's kids, test experiments and random, not for sale stuff.

5. smokinphoto

smokinphoto TPF Noob!

The way that I look at it is:
    1) It's free and
    2) It doesn't hurt so go ahead and put your business out there, Just don't completely depend on it.

I know some guys who market 3-5 times throughout the day on facebook and get over 32% of their visitors from facebook so I guess it just all depends.