Failing D70; Film Replacements?

wjastrow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Gang,

My trusty Nikon D70 exhibited a very annoying feature in the last day or two that I wrote off to weak batteries: After taking some number of shots, the green light on the back of the camera next to where the CompactFlash cartridge is inserted begins to blink and I can't turn the camera on, off, or do anything with it. Tonight, I found that there's a "Service Advisory" posted at the Nikon site and they'll repair the camera for free.

That's swell...except...

A vacation begins before I expect to have the camera returned.

So.

Should I consider a 35mm Nikon film SLR (that would be compatible with the lenses I use on the D70) or just suffer withdrawal?

Thanks in advance.

Rent a camera... mabey even a D200 or something... ?

I agree. Send it in and rent. Or explain it to Nikon...maybe they can cross ship a replacement. If you are nice (but firm)...they should agree to cross-ship a new one.

Even a refurbished camera would be acceptable for a cross ship in my mind.(actually it would almost have to be a refurbished model, I doubt they would send you a new D80)

THis is known as the "Blinking Green Light of Death" or "BGLOD" I kid you not.
Try and google it. The problem will only get worse and needs to be sent in to Nikon to be fixed. It is a know issue with the D70 and they should fix it for no charge even if the camera is out of warranty.
I hope that helps

Why are all Deaths associated with blinking lights. *Stares at the xbox360 in the corner with the blinking red light of death*

Why are all Deaths associated with blinking lights. *Stares at the xbox360 in the corner with the blinking red light of death*

We had the same problem. And like Nikon they fixed the 360 even when it was out of warrenty. (Call MS... It's a heat sink problem they are aware of)

As for the Nikon\D70 issue... I had the same problem. Called them up and they had me send it to a US address. It was then sent somewhere else. They never sent an ACK on receiving the unit and it just showed up at the house fixed about two or three weeks later.

Tim

If you have lenses to use that are not G types or AF-S then this would be a great camera at a good price. (uses AA batteries) http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-N8008S-Bo...yZ107925QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you have the G type lenses then you'll need an N80 (or F100) This is the best price I've seen on an N80 in a while though I don't really keep up with them. (uses CR-123 batteries) http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-N80-Body-...yZ107924QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

good luck.

btw, try the Fuji 400H if you are going to be taking shots with people in them, looks pretty good.

If you want something a little off the wall...Zeiss Ikon Tenax 35mm viewfinder camera
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Zeiss-Ikon...yZ107925QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Gang,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I do plan to send my D70 into Nikon. This is also my first SLR so I only have "DX" lenses (not compatible with any film SLR).

Renting a camera hadn't even occurred to me but at $80-$100 a day, it's cost prohibitive.

Good to know there's a place to go.

Can you spell f-i-l-m ? ;)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back