Favorite Photographer

Matt Stuart was a great addition. I just took a look at his work for the first time. I can't believe he gets some of the optical illusions that he does. I'd really like to follow the guy around for the day to see how he chooses what to shoot. These shots have got to be planned and have got to be at just the right angle to work. Some of them can't be planned though. It's got to be spur of the moment he chuckles to himself and snaps the shot.

Matt Stuart was a great addition. I just took a look at his work for the first time. I can't believe he gets some of the optical illusions that he does. I'd really like to follow the guy around for the day to see how he chooses what to shoot. These shots have got to be planned and have got to be at just the right angle to work. Some of them can't be planned though. It's got to be spur of the moment he chuckles to himself and snaps the shot.

Yes, it would be interesting to see him work. I have a feeling he'd be the "grey man" on the street, slipping in and out of the crowd. Observing.

he states which photos are staged on his website (they are under commisioned works), the rest i think are down to, amongst other things, persistence, practice, intelligence, hard work, a little bit of luck, the fact he never leaves the house without his camera, and I think most importantly, instinct.

If you take for example, the shot where the workman's head looks like it's in the other guys wheelbarrow, there's no way you could leave the house and plan to take that shot. You could argue it's just a lucky snap, but the best just have an instinct, and in a way, they create their own luck.

Arno Minkkinen anyone? I love that guy!
Yes Arno takes self portraits to a new level.
I mentioned in another post(that probably should be in this forum) that I have recently saw Gregory Crewdson speaking at the DMA. I was quite inspired by him and so I will add his name to the list.

Thanks for sharing Matt Stuart. That was really amazing street shooting. When I first went to his page I was looking for bunny rabbits. LOL

I guess I have to go with Robert Capa.

Yea, Steve McCurry kind of started it all for a lot of people, huh? Those eyes on that NG cover man.

Ellen von Unwerth is my absolute favouritest bestest most inspirational Photographer.

I'm not sure that I've heard of most of the photographers that were mentioned in this thread so far. I like a few photographers that I've found online that I learn from on a regular basis. Here are the one's I like the most:

Lou O'bedlam
Autumn De Wilde
Davis Ayer
Amanda Jas
Michelle Karpman
Parker Fitzgerald

I personally could watch Jerry Ghionis all day long. Love his style. I've also run across a few no-name photographers that have some great work. Do you guys find yourselves gravitating to one artist or a short list of a few artists?

He's a cool guy. I chatted with him at Mystic 7 last month. A definite rock star.

I have some obscure favorites or those I have had a chance to learn from. I'm a big fan of Neil Snape's fashion work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back