Film camera bargains galore.

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by fmw, Nov 8, 2006.

1. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

I'm blown away by the prices of Film cameras on Ebay, particularly, medium format. It is almost scary.

I went ahead and bought this one.

[​IMG]

It arrived today. Brand new. A battery had never been installed. The paper packaging between the shutter and the film insert was still there. perfect. Pristine. Operates exactly as it should. $278. It's amazing.

2. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    it looks like that new plastic version... Not that there is anything wrong with that. I think its the only new one they make now isn't it.

3. fmw

Yes it's plastic and very light as a result - lighter than my D50. All the Mamiya 645's have been discontinued except for the AF model. This one is the 645E, the entry level model. It is like the other models except no removable back (120/220 only) and no removable viewfinder and screens (prism AE only.) While they are still available new, they are discontinued. I also found a brand new 45mm wide angle for it which should arrive next week. I'll get a 150mm telephoto to complete the setup.

4. LWW

LWW TPF Noob!

That is a very good camera. They were about $600 until recently.

LWW

5. fmw

I'm sure it will be great. I have some experience (all positive) with Mamiya gear. I had a 645 1000S for a few years that was really nicer than this camera and my studio workhorse when I was a commercial photog was the RZ67 which, for my money, outperforms the Hasselblad and even provides more real estate on the film. The RZ lenses are nothing short of incredible.

This little puppy is extremely light and small enough that it really feels more like a 35mm camera than a medium format model. I loaded up some B&W film and I'll shoot some tomorrow with it. It came without a manual or neck strap. My guess is that it was a store display model. I figured out everything without the manual but I will need to find a neck strap for it.

6. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

I was not big fan of that cam when my buddy bought it about 3-5 years ago albeit for a whole lot more money for the price you paid I could see definately changing my opinion

7. myopia

myopia TPF Noob!

wow, great buy. i want one.

8. Groupcaptainbonzo

Groupcaptainbonzo TPF Noob!

WOW great ! ! I would miss the interchangerble back though. But what a cracker. In my opinion the best 645 on the market. and a real workhorse that should do everything you could ever want of it...

9. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ah but did you ever see anyone lugging an rb at a wedding... I did it is not a pretty sight to see a hundred pound woman after five hours with one in her hands.

10. fmw

Yes, that's why mine was "studio workhorse." The trunk for the system had wheels on it so you can imagine I carried it only when absolutely necessary. I didn't view it as a hand holdable camera. Mine always went on a tripod.

As to the 100 lb. woman, I guess that's why wedding photographers are so strong! :)

11. fmw

I spent some time thinking about interchageable backs when I shopped Ebay. In my commercial days I had several backs for the RZ system. I had 645, 6X6, 6X7, 35mm, Polaroid. What I found, though, was that I rarely needed to change film types during a shoot (aside from Polaroid when I used it.) If I started with Provia, as an example, I would shoot only Provia. Most of the time I just reloaded the same back when I ran out of film. I suppose a fashion photog might make more use of backs than I did since that is a somewhat more intense kind of shooting than I did which was mostly product advertising.

What I discovered was that the Pro TL sells for about $600 or $700 on Ebay. That's a steal for sure. But I couldn't resist this one which was advertised as mint (and indeed it was.) I was surprised when I got it for the price I did. I had bid higher but no one challenged it. My old 645 1000S didn't have removable backs either and it worked fine for me.

I'm an EX commercial shooter. I don't need the sophisticated gear I used in those days. It was nice shooting with RZ's and Cambo view cameras and it still would be but it is hardly necessary for me. This will be fine for the recreational shooter I am now.

I shot my test roll today. Everything functioned as it should. We'll see what the negs look like when I get them on Saturday. I just need to know what AEL means on the shutter speed dial. I've figured out everything else.

12. LWW

LWW TPF Noob!

I have often thought that if the Japanese would have moved the new tech into MF cameras as quickly as the did 35MM that 35MM may have lost and digital might still be a novelty.

That should be about equal to a 45 +/- MP DSLR.

LWW