Your opinion please

Dylan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I would like to purchase one of these and I'm hoping to get some comments which might help me make a decision. Seen on KEH.com:

18-35 F3.5-4.5 SIGMA ASPHERICAL (82) (FILM ONLY) WITH HOOD, CAPS, 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS ZOOM SUPER WIDE ANGLE LENS
And
19-35 F3.5-4.5 TAMRON (77) 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS ZOOM SUPER WIDE ANGLE LENS

Both of these are used and right in my price range(around 100.00). I don't have much money to spend but I have been wanting a wide angle lens for some time now. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Does the price seem a bit low for a used lens. According to the ratings both of these are in excellent condition. The primary use will be landscape and architecture work. Thanks for looking.

This says the tamrom is good value, haha and I couldn't find the sigma on fm. Goodluck though!

how about for what camera, and such. either way, youre better off going with genuine equipment rather then third party such as tamron or sigma

As usual this all depends on your budget.... Everyone wants top of the range kit... But only very few of us (Or should that be THEM,) can afford it. ... Firstly.... make a few sacrifices and get the Very best you can afford. always (Gently) shake a second hand lens. a small click may not be too important . But a rattle is a walk away sign of major preportions. Obviously look for signs of ware and tare and how the rings feel and operate. Look for scratches inside and outside of the glass. and mould which may look as though it is actually inside the glass itself. If a cover/pouch/bag or whatever is provided with it , it MAY be an indication that the previous owner has taken good care of it. Likewise a U.V. filter or similar. If you stand a chance of getting something better in a few weeks , then wait if you can and buy it then. Always stick to names you are familiar with. Sigma make several ranges of lens (as do many others) the top ones are used by the top (ie world famous ) Pros. But they are a different kettle of fish to the entry level ones. I would buy a new lens from a reputable provider off the net (I get the impression that is where you are looking) But I would need to know that if a second hand lens were not up to spec I could return it without penelty.
Hope this has been useful for you. Sorry it's a bit general but without actually haveing hands on .. can't really say much more.

Dylan said:
12 views and no one wants to post anything???
Your thread title is totally non-descriptive, but helpful people will look anyway.

I don't have any experience with either of them either. I didn't respond because I thought someone with experience would do so. Apparently not.

I can tell you that both companies have good reputations for making good lenses. The second one makes me think it might be lighter just because it has a smaller filter size. All other things being equal, the lighter one would be a small advantage.

Looking at the Sigma site, I had trouble trying to find out what kind of lens the Sigma you mentioned is. It appears there is no 18-35 F3.5-4.5 SIGMA lens available. The closest I could find was the 15-30 3.5-4.5, but it doesn't appear to be in the price range you want. The only lens that is close to the price range is the 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC, however this is not for film.

I suggest you clarify the camera model you have, the lens(es) you already have, as they too become a factor in the purchase of a new lens.

Sorry. I forgot about this thread. Ok here's my specs. I have a Canon Eos Elan 7e film camera. I want a wide angle lens for landscapes etc. I am not financially able to purchase a new lens any time soon (my daughter's daycare is 600.00 a month. need I say more?). Of the used models I've seen Canon still sells for a premium and there isn't quite as much in the size I'm looking for. Sigma and Tamron seem to have a decent selection in used wide angle lenses. I want to deal with a store so I can get my money back if I'm not happy with my purchase. As far as finding these on the manufacturer sites, I've noticed since Canon went to the new ef (s?) lenses for digital everyone has followed suit. My best guess is that these are a generation old and as such they are not making them anymore. I'm not too worried about this as I won't be able to afford a digital body any time soon. Aside from KEH.com, Adorama.com and bhphoto.com can anyone recomend another dealer that I can check out. Let me know if I left anything out. Thanks everyone who replied.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back