Film either overexposing or no exposure

Visionsbydayna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone. I'm getting back into my photography and have just set up my studio equipment again. I'm (trying to) shoot with my Nikon F4 film SLR and I'm having trouble getting anything out of it. I know it works because I used it during my honeymoon after having the motherboard replaced. I just checked the shutter and it's working. I've recently shot two separate rolls of black and white film and nothing is coming out. I'm not processing the film myself. It's like the film is blank. I've checked the levels with my light meter and everything checks out. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Any help I can get is definitely appreciated.

if the film is blank there are two possible reasons.

One the shutter didn't fire or the film didn't advance. What color is the film base? Can you read the numbering on the sides?

If it's blank it's not over-exposure - it's NO exposure.

Where are you getting it developed? With your blank rolls do you see any DX coding on it? Is your aperture lever going down and sticking? Id do some tests with cheap CN film and make sure BULB @ f/22 works.

Thanks everyone. As it turns out, the shutter is only firing part of the time. Film is definitely advancing as I had it tested with a cheap roll of film. I recently had the motherboard replaced and for some reason it's decided to start working intermittently. Thank you so much again for your input.

Most of the problems with the f4 are related to the finder, not the camera body. You could probably buy a perfectly working f4 body with a broken finder on ebay for $100 or less, likely cheaper then fixing your body.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back