Film questions!

Andreal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so im thinking of buying a fairly inexpensive film SLR jsut to play around on. It will mostly be for my learning how the images look different and give me more "creative control" while doing my photography. My D80 will remain my main camera and I will not be gimping purchases for my D80 because of the film camera (for example I still intend to buy a Sigma 10-20 despite it not being compatable with film cameras). This is because I really just want the film camera for fun/experimenting.

So I guess my first question is, what camera would you reccommend. I have been seeing some pretty nice prices on F60's, was this a good camera, or would something else fit my requirement better?

Secondly, its only nikon DX lenes that can't be used on 35mm camera right?

Thirdy (I know im throwing alot of stuff at you:p), What kind of film would I need? I have seen 3 kinds, Colour Negative, Colour Trasparency and Black and White, now I can figure out what black and white is :p, but the other two have me a little stumped. There is also the price, I have seen rolls of film ranging from $10NZD to like $200NZD and beyond, now I intend to spend $150-200 an a second hand camera so im not really willing to fork out $200 everytime i wanna go out :p

Thanks for any help clearing this stuff up :D

Colour negative is standard film. It's what you'll find inside disposable cameras and the like. I used it when using my film SLR as it's got more leeway for exposure.

Colour transparency, also called slides, requires more precise control of your exposure, can be harder to work with but I hear much more rewarding. I should try a roll out some day, but I never really use my 35 mm anymore.

The main difference between colour negative and B&W is the processing method. They require different chemicals/mixes/time to develop.

You also need a light box or projector to view the slides properly.

I don't know your budget but I would suggest an F/N8008 or 8008s (the s has a spot meter) it shoots 3 fps and has a shutter speed up to 1/8000. This is a really great consumer grade camera that uses AA batteries as opposed to anything with a built in flash which uses the cr 123s (I think- whatever they are they are pricey).

It's just an all around Great camera and if you get a used lens to go with it, you wouldn't feel too bad just leaving it in your car.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_F801

mike

P.S. check on line for film prices. You can stock up and stick the film in the freezer.

I absolutely love my nikon fm-2. Its older, but when it came out it was the fastest camera on the market. As for film, all I shoot is black and white. But, illford hp-5 plus 400 is a good starter film for b/w. It has good contrast and I normally rate it at 200 so the grain is smaller. I also shot with a canon ae-1 when I first started out, also an older model 35mm.

i also shoot with the Nikon FM-2n. great camera.
i found it plus a nikon 50 mm AI-s 1.4 lens on ebay for 300 bucks.

i've never heard of 200$ film, but maybe your dollar trades at 20NZD to 1 USD?

the most expensive film i found is Kodak Color IR film at 24 USD a roll, followed by Kodak HEI at 20 a roll then Fugi velvia at 14 a roll....(which is what i use all the time)

Have a look at ancient discontinued films, they can get damn expensive :)

1. The Nikon F60 is a nice camera. But the question is do you need the feature list of your D80 in your film body too? My film body is a 35 year old Nikon FE, and so far it has done everything I have needed except TTL flash metering. But generally you are pretty safe with just about any SLR film body. Unlike their digital counterparts they were far less consumerised.

2. Yep DX lenses will mount and may even fire on the film bodies, but the picture won't cover the entire frame. It's worth noting that this may depend on a specific lens too. An older Nikon camera may still rely on the aperture ring for Auto Indexing. In that case you would not be able to mount G type lenses (without an aperture ring) on the old bodies.

3. That depends entirely on what you are shooting. It is hard to pass slide film for some fantastic results. FujiFilm Velvia produces very vivid colours and is often a favourite for landscapes, however printing from slide film often costs much more than from negatives as does the development. Not even all black and white film is equal. The Kodak Tri-X will give you wildly different results from the Kodak Portra. It's up to you to experiment :)

Wow thanks for the replies this is getting really interesting :D

fightheheathens said:
i've never heard of 200$ film, but maybe your dollar trades at 20NZD to 1 USD?

Heh turns out it was just bad labeling on the website I was looking at, I was looking at like a pack of 40 rolls or something we trade at about 1.3NZD to 1USD :blushing:

Garbz said:
The Nikon F60 is a nice camera. But the question is do you need the feature list of your D80 in your film body too?

The reason I have been looking at the F60-F65 is because they seem like the easiest to come by in NZ, and hence because of the large number of people selling, they have their prices cut.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Film-cameras/35mm-SLR/auction-111461181.htm

This looked like a good deal to me, I know the lenses are fairly crappy but for the condition of the camera it seemed like a good buy. Btw, Trademe = NZ Ebay.

Garbz said:
It's up to you to experiment :)

:D This is exactly what I would be looking forward to on a film camera, thanks!

Mike_E said:
I don't know your budget but I would suggest an F/N8008 or 8008s

That camera looks very cool, but what does it have that say the F65 doesnt? The 8008 seems much more rare and expensive, it looks like I could get it body only for $250, is it worth that much more?

Thanks for all the replies, this thread has me really interested!

Sorry Andreal, I had forgotten that you were in NZ. The F801/N8008 is a joy to shoot and goes for around $70 US here on ebay. It will do pretty much what ever you ask of it and do it well- over and over again. If you can find one -Great, but if not ~ do what you can.

mike

Most reactions

New Topics

Back