Filters!!

eveningfalls86

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have never tried using filters before. I have always played it safe and went with what was before my lens. But now I am wanting to try to spice things up a little and experiment. I mostly shoot landscapes and nature scenes(Sunsets, Sunrises Waterfalls) In about 4 weeks I am going on a fall folage shoot. Which filters are good to start out with?? I have no idea which ones to purchase. I really need some advice in this area. Thanks so much for any information.

For a foliage hunt, you say? If you have the right camera, IR filters produce spectacular results when used to shoot flora. I got a Hoya R72, and am in love now :)

First off, are you shooting digital or film? A circular polarizer is a must have. If you are shooting digital, you can achieve the look of most other filters afterwards with software. If you are shooting film, you may want to also look at a graduated neutral density, for complex lighting scenes where the foreground is dark.

I am using a Canon Rebel and have enjoyed professsional results with it. I use Fuji 800 speed film. I am careful with the lighting issues as well. I had to many of those pesky starbursts on some pics last year and do not want a repeat of that. I have already made plans to purchase the polarizer and a hood. I also hope to purchase a Canon 20D at the end of the year.

Why are you using 800 speed film for landscapes? Have you tried slide film? I think you'd get great results with fall foliage, if you brought a tripod, polarizer, and some Velvia 100F.

Never thought of using slides before. As for the tripod, I have 3. The polarizer is being bought this weekend. I visited your site. The Ir was awesome! I have a site as well. Not to bad for a self designed site( at 3am in the morning but hey thats what coffee is for, right?) I haven't placed my site on the listings yet but take a gander when you have time. Any fedback, good or bad, is welcome. www..stormtracker2.com

Most reactions

New Topics

Back