Finding a job

Pedro_lopez

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Soon I will be moving and will need to quit my current job. one of my buddies knows and helps out a few people who do weddings and events. He said he could get me to be a part of one or two of them to gain some experience.

For photography I use just my Nikon d3300 with kit lens or 50mm 1.4. I'm very confident I can get by until I save up for something more ideal.

My concern is actually going through with it and then taking a risk in making money with photography. I'm used to taking the safe route and working at places that pay me by the hour.

Does anyone have advice? And after I get the experience I know it won't be that easy finding a job where I move to so is there any advice with that too? I really want to make money doing photography

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Since You asked for advice I will provide you just that, although it may not like the advice.

First a D3300 with kit lens and a 50mm will not suffice for weddings. You need good, fast flexible glass. Kit glass is not fast and the 50mm when shooting weddings is not flexible. 16-35 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8 & 70-200 f2.8 are all standard wedding lenses as are some top end fixed focal lengths for certain standard shots. You also need two bodies in case of an issue with one of the bodies. I won't even attempt to tackle the needs in the various lighting you need.

As for experience being part of one or two weddings for experience ='s no experience. 50-75-100 weddings as second shooter and you have begun to gain experience, both in terms of photographic competence as well as dealing with venues, officiants as well as the wedding participants and the families of the wedding participants. That doesn't even include the post processing skills it takes to produce the kind of results that the bride and groom want.

Photographic skills need to be outstanding. You need to know you equipment inside and out, forward, backward and sideways. You need to have outstanding exposure and composition skills as well as a complete understanding of light and lighting. You have to be able to see a problem situation, and instantly know exactly how to get the best shot no matter what the issue is. You don't have time to mull it over or guess. You have to KNOW what to do.

You also have to learn people skills. I know some fantastically talented photographers that would starve to death if they had to deal with brides(zillas) and mothers(zillas) of the bride. They are stressed to the max and you have to be able to deal with the stress of the whole wedding situation and that takes as much skill as the photographic skills.

Weddings are a once in a lifetime thing. You either get the shots or you don't. There are no do overs, no All Ye All Ye In Come Free's. All it takes is one screw up and word gets out that you are not a competent wedding photographer. Brides pay attention to such things, from their friends, family and now social media. They not only expect perfection they will demand it.

I would recommend that unless you can meet each and every one of the above things you need to think of either staying where you are or looking for a job in you present field. Wedding Photography is one of the two most demanding forms of photography, in terms of equipment, experience and ability.

FYI. This advice is from someone with over 48 years of photographic experience who you could not pay enough to shoot a wedding. I have no time or patience for brides and mommies of the bride and the whole wedding scene.

It's difficult to know and understand how absolutely hard it is to meet the expectations of the bride and her mother. The groom side is usually not that hard but it can be as well.
You can be a second shooter and capture informal shots of the guests and the reception if you have the right equipment for poor lighting conditions.
All of that applies to expensive formal weddings. If the couple is looking for a 300$ photo set from a Craigslist add then the D3300 is the right equipment.

I'm not looking to be a head photographer or even second shooter right away. I just thought I could take my friends offer to learn at a few weddings. I wouldn't mind helping out with equipment or lighting as a way to learn, but I do feel that waiting around until I have hundreds of dollars of equipment isn't gonna help me get any further. I want to be able to make money in photography in order to pay for my equipment so I have a justification to spend the money. Renting for an event is also an option if I need a second camera as back up. Other then all that I would say yes experience is what I'm lacking and I just wanted to know if there's an entry position for weddings? Or even another field of photography where I can support myself. I don't accept the fact that one needs years of experience to get started.

I'm not looking to be a head photographer or even second shooter right away.

There are two positions in the wedding photography business, photographer and second shooter. They don't use support staff. If they photographer needs assistance with lighting it is the second shooter that provides that.

Just a foot through the door.

What photo skills / experience have you to sell to even get the door opened?

I'm not looking to be a head photographer or even second shooter right away. I just thought I could take my friends offer to learn at a few weddings. I wouldn't mind helping out with equipment or lighting as a way to learn, but I do feel that waiting around until I have hundreds of dollars of equipment isn't gonna help me get any further. I want to be able to make money in photography in order to pay for my equipment so I have a justification to spend the money. Renting for an event is also an option if I need a second camera as back up. Other then all that I would say yes experience is what I'm lacking and I just wanted to know if there's an entry position for weddings? Or even another field of photography where I can support myself. I don't accept the fact that one needs years of experience to get started.

"Hundreds of dollars" :lol: Try thousands at a minimum and tens of thousands more like. If you want to get into this, you need to have basic skills and equipment to start. I don't shoot weddings except under great duress, but if I did and was looking for an intern, I would expect that he/she would have their own basic kit, and would know how to set up lights, prep bodies and lenses, understand what was needed for each shot, etc. Think of it as applying for a position as builder's helper. If you don't have your own basic tool kit, hammer, saw, tool belt, etc, and the ability to cut a 2x4 to a particular length with a particular bevel, you're not going to last long.

FYI. This advice is from someone with over 48 years of photographic experience who you could not pay enough to shoot a wedding. I have no time or patience for brides and mommies of the bride and the whole wedding scene.
What he said. And this from a guy with about 50 years of experience and a half-dozen weddings under my belt. You couldn't pay me enough to shoot another wedding.

I don't accept the fact that one needs years of experience to get started.
Given the quality of most photography I see these days that's true. Given the fact that every March there are a half-dozen people who got their first camera for Christmas and are now ready to "Go Pro", that's true. Given the crap on Facebook and Twitter and all the other social media cesspools, that's true. You do, however, need experience to KEEP going. Shoot one job badly, just one, and the word will get out faster than you can imagine.

I'm not looking to be a head photographer or even second shooter right away.

There are two positions in the wedding photography business, photographer and second shooter. They don't use support staff. If they photographer needs assistance with lighting it is the second shooter that provides that.

Just a foot through the door.

What photo skills / experience have you to sell to even get the door opened?

My friend has told me they have more then just the two photographers, he also knows videographers that could use more then just a second help. Even at my job, even though it's not wedding related , whenever I see pro photographers they have a crew to work with.

Im saying I have an opportunity to gain some experience, what little it is, it's a start. I'm open to criticism and all but what you guys are giving me is not any kind of advice it's just telling me what I already know. It's a hard business I get it. But I have got to start somewhere and that's what I'm trying to find out.

How to start? Okay I will spell it out.

1. Learn Photography. Not just the bare basics, everything you can. That means not just understanding the basics but how they work together but where and when to make compromises to get the best shot. You need an in depth understanding of ISO, Shutter speed, Aperture, DOF, metering, to name just a few for a start. You need to have a good working understanding of everything here: Digital Photography Tutorials

2.You need to learn light, how it works and how to see light. Photography is all about light. Our eyes/brains see light differently than a film or a digital sensor does. You need to see and understand light in those terms.

3. Learn lighting. All forms of lighting. Start with something like Light, Science & Magic.

4. Learn composition. The technical skills are needed so you can face and instantly overcome any situation. It's a creative eye that sells you to customers as a photographer.

If you want to get a foot in the door you have to have skills to sell. You have to give them a reason for them to even open the door to you. You need to be able to walk in and do the job they want you to do with out a lot of basic direction and that takes photographic knowledge. You also have to be willing and happy to do the grunt work to prove yourself. This isn't like getting a degree in school. You are asking for these people to give you experience and training so you can become their competition.

I started in photography when I was 14 and got my first professional job at 16 with a very well established commercial/fashion photographer in a very large market. I was not behind a camera, I was setting up lighting, sets, props etc. I would fetch equipment, outfits, props etc. But it was my photography experience and knowledge to that point that got me in the door and served me well as I didn't have to be told how to do the simple stuff, rather I was there to do the fine tuning my boss wanted.

It was my willingness to work and learn that eventually got be behind the camera. My learning was not a disruption to my boss, as he was not so much teaching me as much as he was improving and extending my knowledge and skills. He wasn't teaching me the business, rather I was learning the art of the trade from him. He greatly expanded my knowledge for which I was always thankful.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Everybody wannabe pro and make money just starting out. My advice get a real job or starve. practice for the next decade or two on the side then maybe. Superb quality weeding photographers are well seasoned, booked solid for months in advance and cost more then some peoples cars.

Is your friend going to help you work with one or two photographers on multiple events/weddings or just to get you work on a couple events/weddings?

Either way, if you can get started with your friends contacts then that is your foot in the door. They're not going to run you off because you don't have $20k in equipment, but it can help if you can show that you are serious about doing the work.

Do you have a portfolio of work to show, what you have done with what you have? You may get your foot in the door, but inside there will be people that don't have an idea of who you are or what you can bring to the table. Then your going to want to go with the photographers that are doing the events you are interested in pursuing with your own business, or a photographer that is willing to be a mentor and spend the extra time with you.

It is also good to start looking to set up your business if you haven't done that already.

My recommendation is to find a job in whatever area you have experience and enjoy making photographs as a hobby with your perfectly competent camera.

..I just wanted to know if there's an entry position for weddings? Or even another field of photography where I can support myself. I don't accept the fact that one needs years of experience to get started.
My hunch is that if there is a wedding photographer who is willing to hire you or even let you hang out for no pay, you are probably looking at the lower end of the skill/experience level of wedding photographers. As such, what little experience you get doing that might be useless or misleading.

When considering such an arrangement, I suggest that you look critically at his/her portfolio as if you were thinking of hiring him/her. If the portfolio looks wonderful, then you have a good chance of actually learning photography. If not, keep looking.

Meanwhile, there might be an entry-level position with another photographer in some other field, but you're going to have to use your imagination to find him and be hired. Some real-estate photographer, or something like that with the need for a "grip" to man-handle the lights, etc. might actually be something to look for.

..I just wanted to know if there's an entry position for weddings? Or even another field of photography where I can support myself. I don't accept the fact that one needs years of experience to get started.
My hunch is that if there is a wedding photographer who is willing to hire you or even let you hang out for no pay, you are probably looking at the lower end of the skill/experience level of wedding photographers. As such, what little experience you get doing that might be useless or misleading.

When considering such an arrangement, I suggest that you look critically at his/her portfolio as if you were thinking of hiring him/her. If the portfolio looks wonderful, then you have a good chance of actually learning photography. If not, keep looking.

Meanwhile, there might be an entry-level position with another photographer in some other field, but you're going to have to use your imagination to find him and be hired. Some real-estate photographer, or something like that with the need for a "grip" to man-handle the lights, etc. might actually be something to look for.

Appreciate this post. The guy is Definitely not an amateur photographer though. The guy I know uses a Sony a7r2 and a 24-70. He's helped the other guys a few times and has great photos. I know what equipment it takes to photograph a wedding, I just don't have the money for a full frame yet. I want to save up for a canon 5d mark 4 with 24-70. It's one of those scenarios where I have what I have and want to do something with it.

Most reactions

Back