Firing order of strobes...

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I sincerely doubt there is an issue with this logic, which is why I already placed my order for new gear...

I ordered the Yn560 trigger and a few of the mark III speed-lights for creative control. I figure I my key and fills would be set with a flash meter, but with on the fly digital and wireless control of my speed-lights my separation and supplemental lighting would allow for far more creativity.

What would be the problem with firing the key and fill strobes as slaves to a separation or background spot rather than the other way 'round? I sincerely doubt there would be a timing issue, and as long as there is a line of sight to the burst of light, I should be fine... right? I've always just fired my supplemental lighting with my main as a matter of course. There was something inherently sensible about that... but it seems unnecessary the more thought I give it. A flash is a flash is a flash, and if they all fire in the duration allotted for the shutter, it shouldn't matter which order they fire...

Right?

I ordered the Yn560 trigger and a few of the mark III speed-lights for creative control. I figure I my key and fills would be set with a flash meter, but with on the fly digital and wireless control of my speed-lights my separation and accent lighting would allow for far more creativity.

Silly question I know, but after my 3rd pot of coffee today I need someone to do my thinking for me.

Unless you're exceeding 1/900,000,000 of a second shutter speed (which is likely above your sync speed anyway), it won't be an issue. When I'm using optical triggering I use whichever light is in the best position to be seen by the others as the main trigger light.

Unless you're exceeding 1/900,000,000 of a second shutter speed (which is likely above your sync speed anyway), it won't be an issue. When I'm using optical triggering I use whichever light is in the best position to be seen by the others as the main trigger light.

HA!

I wasn't worried about the light delay... I figured that was some mechanical/electrical delay that could, might, possibly be taken into account... but the moment I posted this thread I thought better of it and now feel silly.

Of COURSE it doesn't matter which order they fire in. Wow. Friday is really getting to me this week.

I need more coffee.

I calculated this thusly: begin with the USA's total trade deficit in USA dollar amount that has been converted to Canadian dollar units x Pi, multiply that by 10, divide that by the monthly cable bill, multiply that times 12 x 12 (144), then add in the number of strobe units, and then multiply that times 25 million...that's the distance in millimeters that the light will travel in 1 whole second, so if The Light gets up on time, skips breakfast, leaves the house on-time, annnnd gets to the park-n-ride on-time and not an hour late, annnnnnnd catches the early train, and the early train is 100% ON TIME, then The Light will make it to all the different triggers in plenty of time for full shutter synchronization.

So...yeah, should be no worries.

I calculated this thusly: begin with the USA's total trade deficit in USA dollar amount that has been converted to Canadian dollar units x Pi, multiply that by 10, divide that by the monthly cable bill, multiply that times 12 x 12 (144), then add in the number of strobe units, and then multiply that times 25 million...that's the distance in millimeters that the light will travel in 1 whole second, so if The Light gets up on time, skips breakfast, leaves the house on-time, annnnd gets to the park-n-ride on-time and not an hour late, annnnnnnd catches the early train, and the early train is 100% ON TIME, then The Light will make it to all the different triggers in plenty of time for full shutter synchronization.

So...yeah, should be no worries.

I deserved that.

Some of the arcane photographic formulas are tricky. Always glad to help out another Nikon shooter.

Some of the arcane photographic formulas are tricky. Always glad to help out another Nikon shooter.

Can you explain to my why I don't have to worry about the cubits to rods conversion in your explanation? Seems to me that would be necessary.

Can you explain to my why I don't have to worry about the cubits to rods conversion in your explanation? Seems to me that would be necessary.
It's negated since Derrel's used metric furlongs instead of chains to express the third inverted variable.

Stradawhovious said:
Derrel said:

LENGTH OF a cubit.jpg

Pretty simple really...the rod is well-known to be 16.5 feet, but the cubit has had multiple, different lengths over time, and in different cultures, so the reliability of the cubits to rods conversion numbers would seriously compromise the calculation's reliability. See the above chart I just made, showing different cubit lengths. We just cannot base calculations on such sketchy values. It's just bad science.

It's negated since Derrel's used metric furlongs instead of chains to express the third inverted variable.

I should have seen that. Now I feel even sillier.

Plus you would need a minimum 113 degree lobe angle along with a 308 duration and .475 lift.
Assuming of course,that you're using a chain cucoloris.

IIRC, the firing order on my '68 Ford (390 CID) was 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. Hope this helps. :D

Plus you would need a minimum 113 degree lobe angle along with a 308 duration and .475 lift.
Assuming of course,that you're using a chain cucoloris.

Please. I'm not a COMPLETE imbecile.

Well,EXCUUUUSE ME Mr Camshaft expert.
If you know all that then you should easily have understood Derrel without asking all those other silly questions.
I suppose you knew the firing order of a 390 too,huh?!?!?

Most reactions

Back