first attempt at night photography...

rhall54

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So.. I have never taken pictures at night before. One because I just recently bought a tripod and two, I don't like to go places at night by myself. Anyway.. I decided it would be safe to go to the park down the street and try it out. Any advice or criticism is welcome!!

slide.jpg

Cool shot.

You can actually shoot long exposure night shots at ISO 100 to help keep the noise under control. Since the camera is on a tripod you don't have to worry about camera shake.

Did you take more shots from different spots around the play equipment?

Nice shot... everything is clear (for the most part) and exposed correctly.

Another fun game to play is taking a flashlight with you and pointing it at objects of interest as the long shutter is open. It helps to light up areas of interest.

Great job!

thank you :)

The flashlight sounds like it would be fun!

And I do have a few other shots. I'm gonna go back when it warms up.. it was just toooo cold to stay out very long. :(

I'll get some more pictures up. I'm using GIMP and it likes to freeze up my computer so.. it takes me awhile to get pictures together to post on here..

I really like that picture, looks great:)

Would you mind sharing your camera settings for that shot?

Cool shot.

You can actually shoot long exposure night shots at ISO 100 to help keep the noise under control. Since the camera is on a tripod you don't have to worry about camera shake.

Did you take more shots from different spots around the play equipment?

nightpark.jpg

Great picture however my preferences are different. So my question is if I didn't want the light to be so bright what can I use to tone that down some?

Is there a filter used for that light burst? or is that natural?

Great picture however my preferences are different. So my question is if I didn't want the light to be so bright what can I use to tone that down some?

To be honest with you.. I just go into GIMP and adjust contrast/brightness and hues. I haven't really done too much digital photography because when it comes to uploading and editing on the computer.. I'm not very good. Computers scare me lol. When I was in school all we did was film so..

To be honest with you.. I just go into GIMP and adjust contrast/brightness and hues. I haven't really done too much digital photography because when it comes to uploading and editing on the computer.. I'm not very good. Computers scare me lol. When I was in school all we did was film so..

I just downloaded GIMP 2.6.4.0 and I was wondering what version you have? I'm currently doing the Stratford at home Photography course and I've been reading up a little on GIMP but any suggestions on how to use it? I can't figure anything out

Are they flashes or just lights from the park ? I would love to see this in HDR

Are they flashes or just lights from the park ? I would love to see this in HDR

lol.. I would too!

I tried for the longest time to do HDR using GIMP. I went through the tutorial 3 times.. and couldn't figure it out. I'm very challenged when it comes to anything dealing with computers.
Not only that but I have very little patience and get irritated when I can't figure something out. But.. I'm gonna try it again.

I just downloaded GIMP 2.6.4.0 and I was wondering what version you have? I'm currently doing the Stratford at home Photography course and I've been reading up a little on GIMP but any suggestions on how to use it? I can't figure anything out

I really don't have any suggestions. I have not read anything about it at all. My uncle told me about it because I have the old version of Photoshop and Vista wouldn't let me install it on my computer. anyway.. so I downloaded GIMP and have just been playing around with it. My life is somewhat hectic right now.. so I don't ever have much time to devote to learning how to use it. One day though I will... I hope :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back