First attempts at macro

echoyjeff222

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

Just started playing around with macro a couple days ago ... I have fallen in love with it. It has opened up a whole new world and perspective! I can't wait to do more.

I was hoping for some thoughts on focus stacking vs. no focus stacking. I almost like the non-focus stacked image more with the bokeh. Thoughts?

Focus stacked:
side view 1-Edit by .Jeffrey L., on Flickr

Non-focus stacked
567-Desat by .Jeffrey L., on Flickr

558 desat by .Jeffrey L., on Flickr

Looks good. Would you mind sharing your exif data, and/or the equipment used?

Looks good. Would you mind sharing your exif data, and/or the equipment used?
Very nice first try. Keep it up!
Thanks! Do you two like the focus stacked one more or the bokeh-ed one (and why?)

I used a
EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

ƒ/9.0 for the first one (focus stacked) and f/4 for the other two.

I prefer the non-stacked version. One of the things I love about macro is the very narrow depth of field. Feels more painterly and adds texture and dimension. I value those things more than sharp tack detail in most of the image.

I prefer the non-stacked version. One of the things I love about macro is the very narrow depth of field. Feels more painterly and adds texture and dimension. I value those things more than sharp tack detail in most of the image.

Hey now! The groupthink is that "sharpness is king (or queen, or czar depending on your preference)". You're going off-message. No semi-independent thinking! Oh wait. You're also using film. So perhaps the kool-aid just doesn't work on your system.

(says an outcast from the "sharpness" team)...

Hey now! The groupthink is that "sharpness is king (or queen, or czar depending on your preference)". You're going off-message. No semi-independent thinking! Oh wait. You're also using film. So perhaps the kool-aid just doesn't work on your system.

(says an outcast from the "sharpness" team)...

I've always been a rebel! And I prefer the term "disavowed" to "outcast." Sounds so...cool :D

Yeah, but "disenfranchised" is more au-courant. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back