First Camera

thepunisher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi :1247:
I have been taking pictures on my smartphone or on family member's cameras for some time now. I am looking into buying my first camera. I have absolutely no idea where to start. I am not looking to make this a career, just a hobby. Thanks so much!!

Go to a local camera store if there is one there or go to a big box store and pick up and handle DSLR's and viewfinder cameras. How will you use it, how will you carry it? If you get a camera that doesn't feel good to you, you won't use it.
It would be different if you were looking to go pro or had a commercial need but you want to enjoy it.

Soooooo, your question is ... ?

If you want to have some assistance on which camera to buy, that's a very long post. If you want to have some guidelines on "how to" use a camera, that's an even longer list.

Let's start with buying a camera.

If you know basically nothing about cameras, find a local shop. If at all possible, I would avoid the big box stores. They will have a good selection of cameras, OK prices and they might even have someone who is interested in photography working the floor when you get there. But I can pretty much promise they won't know much about the specific cameras they haven't personally used. If they're a Nikon user, they'll know a bit about specific Nikons. If they shoot with a Nikon that is above or below your price range, they seriously won't know the cameras that are in your price range. They aren't allowed to. Company policy. They'll know diddly about any other brand. The cameras get placed on display and the boxes and any information pertinent to the camera gets taken off to another location for storage. The sales staff won't or can't bother to learn the basics of the lines they sell. So with maybe fifty cameras on display, the staff member may know three. And I can almost guarantee the sales person will take you to the camera they personally own. They probably won't even hear you when you say you are interested in "this". They haven't been taught to listen to the client. Most of them won't be there next month so, why train them? The rest? you're on your own.

Make the effort, if this is more than a $120 purchase, to find a local, independently owned camera shop. (Beneath $120, just pick a camera, they are all about the same at that price point.) The independents will have just about the selection of cameras available but will typically be staffed by those people truly interested in photography and not just working so they can get an employee discount on a purchase. If you know nothing about cameras, you might even want to call ahead and speak to the store owner or manager about your visit. Ask for the salesperson who does the best with newbies. Make an appointment with that person for a slow, weekday visit. If you simply walk in on a Wednesday afternoon, tell the staff/manager you are completely new and looking for the advice champ in the staff.

Do not go shopping for your first camera on a weekend. Weekends are for making money in retail sales. Weekdays are for educating and comparing.

Bring along some of your previous shots so the sales person can see your style of shooting and what you are most likely going to use the camera to shoot. If you are interested in portraits, then you probably aren't going to buy a camera best suited to action sports. Try to determine your own priorities for the camera. There are plenty of "how to buy" sites on the web. Set a budget. Handle a lot of cameras. Most cameras today are a switch throw away from being very good all on their own shooting in full Auto mode. The camera must be comfortable for you and your hands. If you have difficulty operating the controls which make the camera work for you, then maybe that's not the camera for you. Take your time and read about what you've seen. Take most comments with a large grain of salt. That person isn't you. Don't over buy. I'd say buy a mid-range camera and work with it until you feel the camera or lens is what will be holding you back from improving. Kit lenses are fine for the first few months of ownership. Buy better glass later. If the shop sells trade ins, maybe that's what you should start with. Let someone else take the hit on depreciation. But a used camera and use it for two years then trade. You'll probably get back most of what you spent initially. Almost like a free camera!

If you feel you've received good service and good advice from the local shop, give them your money.
Local brick and mortar shops are disappearing at an alarming rate due to people who audition in their shop and then go home and buy on line to save a few bucks. Sooner or later, if we all follow that scheme, there simply won't be any brick and mortar dealers around where you can get useful information and hands on experience. Most local shops can't be down to the penny competitive with a seller who may be working out of their garage with minimal overhead. It costs money to keep the doors open and most dealers will be willing to discuss price with a client but you have to realize they may make an offer which takes into account the pre-sale and after-sale service they can provide. Keeping good sales people is expensive. No matter how much a sales person may want to assist a potential client, if they can't pay their bills, they are forced to go elsewhere or even get into another profession. Spend your money where it will benefit and reward the best service you can find. Service is pretty much the life blood of the local, independent dealer. It has nothing to do with big boxes and on line retailers. If you buy on line and can't decide whether a problem is in the camera or in your operation of the camera, who are you going to contact for advice? The guy working out of his garage that doesn't want to be bothered by after the sale service? Good luck with that! That's what independent dealers do best. They assist you in getting the most from your decision. Many small shops will offer classes to their clients at no or low cost. IMO, if you are going into this knowing nothing, there is no better way to spend your money. If you receive good service from a shop, give them your money and then tell your friends. Word of mouth advertising is how independents survive.

Ask a friend for advice about where to shop. Don't ask them what to buy. Friends and relatives generally want you to buy what they own or would like to own. They too are not you. We all see things from our own perspective and we all must make our own decisions based on our own priorities. Though, honestly, if a friend had your budget and best interests in mind and simply said, "Buy this", you probably wouldn't be the worse for the advice - if you're going into this knowing nothing. Most modern cameras will give good results if their menus make sense to you. Don't sweat the details and don't become paralyzed by the idea you'll make a bad decision. Buy a camera, learn it, learn photography and you'll be OK. And you'll have a good time doing so and possibly might even make new friends.

Good luck.

Start by studying about how camera works and what kind of cameras are available. If you find it's boring then don't buy a camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back