First outing with 40D

Ptyler22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.harvardpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It finally stopped raining for a little while and my 50mm just came so I got a chance to go outside for the first time with my new 40d, my first slr that I got yesterday. So I know they are flowers which are soo common but that was all I had a chance to shoot, besides myself in the classic mirror shot. C&C, greatly appreciated, Thanks! Oh ya, they were all taken with my 50mm
These should be a bit smaller now
IMG_1209-1.jpg

IMG_1218-1.jpg

IMG_1224-1.jpg

IMG_1251-1.jpg

IMG_1257-1.jpg

IMG_1262-1.jpg

IMG_1294-1.jpg

IMG_1344-1.jpg

Last edited:
OK, the smaller ones will be up in the morning, time for me to hit the hay for tonight, they are uploading but it takes a while, so look for them tomorrow, they should be up

Please resize your photos --- when your tomorrow has arrived. OK.
But at 1944px wide they are WAAAAYYY too large for proper viewing. As a rule of thumb 800x533px (horizontal pic) or 800x600px has proved to be the best viewable picture size.

I don't know, but you still need to resize or remove the photos from the first post. It takes too long to load and is annoying. I'll revisit later to look at the photos.

All of them but the last seem underexposed to me. Also don't be afraid to use a smaller aperture. When using a large aperture like F1.8 if you reframe very much after focusing, you'll miss focus a lot. I had the same problem while getting used to my 50mm f1.8. You have to be very careful with such a Shallow DOF to keep the things in focus that you want.

While I'm not really familiar with Canon's setups, what Focus mode were you using? When shooting really shallow DOF I always use a single point focus and move it to the focus point closest to the subject in my framing (if that makes sense the way I said it).

Ya that makes sense, I was actually manually focusing, which may be the problem, it was my first go at actually takin pictures with manual focus, maybe I should stick to auto focus. If I keep manually focusing and getting used to it, will manual eventually become easier and better than auto focus?

Overall, I think that for your first outing with your first DSLR that you are going to be taking great photos in no time. I think your flower shoots are on the verge of perfect. Maybe some composition tweaks (or crops) as well as what the others have mentioned. I am curious what mode you were shooting in, or if you have previous experience with photography, because your first time looks 100 times better than my first time did!

Congrats,

Derrick

Overall, I think that for your first outing with your first DSLR that you are going to be taking great photos in no time. I think your flower shoots are on the verge of perfect. Maybe some composition tweaks (or crops) as well as what the others have mentioned. I am curious what mode you were shooting in, or if you have previous experience with photography, because your first time looks 100 times better than my first time did!

Congrats,

Derrick

I actually looked back at my camera to see and I was shooting in landscape, I must have been playing around with modes and never put it back to standard or portrait.
The only experience I have is with my point and shoot, I started seriously experimenting with photography in the past few months, and I wanted to do more, that's why I got an slr.
If you want to crop some things and tweek them to give me ideas of what to do next time, feel that would be awesome, thanks.
Glad you enjoyed them!

1. Your pictures are beautiful but some of them do seem out of focus a bit - as if you did it in photoshop. But anyway they are beautiul

2. Have you ever shot with a 35mm SLR? This would help you with being used to focusing, lighting, etc. without having to use the settings so much.

3. Manual gets much easier (at least focusing manual) - i love it and i love learning as much as possible about my camera....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back