First photo - Looking for some feedback

hydro psyche

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all

This is the first photo I'm posting on the site. It's a very basic photo of a flower. My goal with this was to simply get the colors right. Any feedback on other things I should consider is appreciated....

GoodFlower.jpg

I like it, although the yellow on the left side may be distracting to some. I think you did really well :)

Colors look pretty good!

The composition isn't that exciting, but you said you were more concerned about colors, so... colors look pretty good! :)

I think the focus might have been a touch off, too... or it might just need a bit of sharpening in post processing.

Colors look pretty good!

The composition isn't that exciting, but you said you were more concerned about colors, so... colors look pretty good! :)

I think the focus might have been a touch off, too... or it might just need a bit of sharpening in post processing.

I was having a tough time with the focusing due to the flower swaying back and forth in the wind. Not sure if it would've made a difference, but I didn't use a tripod either.

I was having a tough time with the focusing due to the flower swaying back and forth in the wind. Not sure if it would've made a difference, but I didn't use a tripod either.

Ah, you know I considered commenting on the 1/30th shutter time. It's on the edge of slow, but technically doable handheld as long as everything is steady. You might want to go with a faster shutter next time.

Good general rule of thumb is 1/focal length (ish), give or take, and generally try no less than 1/60th of a second handheld and 1/30th of a second handheld if you want to push your luck.

Overall, the faster your shutter the more frozen your subject will be, so err on the side of faster unless you are doing something specific that requires slower.

Good to know!

How exactly were you able to figure out my shutter speed?

I've heard of EXIF data, which is where I think this info is stored, but am not sure how you can view it.

Thanks

Yeah, it's in the EXIF info. Google for Opanda EXIF. It's a free tool you can install that allows you to right-click the image and get the info right out of the browser. I think firefox will also tell you if you use that. Handy. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back