First photo - Looking for some feedback

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by hydro psyche, Sep 15, 2008.

1. hydro psyche

hydro psyche TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello all

This is the first photo I'm posting on the site. It's a very basic photo of a flower. My goal with this was to simply get the colors right. Any feedback on other things I should consider is appreciated....

[​IMG]

2. Amber_Cullen

Amber_Cullen TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like it, although the yellow on the left side may be distracting to some. I think you did really well :)

3. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Colors look pretty good!

The composition isn't that exciting, but you said you were more concerned about colors, so... colors look pretty good! :)

I think the focus might have been a touch off, too... or it might just need a bit of sharpening in post processing.

4. hydro psyche

hydro psyche TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was having a tough time with the focusing due to the flower swaying back and forth in the wind. Not sure if it would've made a difference, but I didn't use a tripod either.

5. manaheim

Photos OK to edit
    Ah, you know I considered commenting on the 1/30th shutter time. It's on the edge of slow, but technically doable handheld as long as everything is steady. You might want to go with a faster shutter next time.

Good general rule of thumb is 1/focal length (ish), give or take, and generally try no less than 1/60th of a second handheld and 1/30th of a second handheld if you want to push your luck.

Overall, the faster your shutter the more frozen your subject will be, so err on the side of faster unless you are doing something specific that requires slower.

6. hydro psyche

hydro psyche TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Good to know!

How exactly were you able to figure out my shutter speed?

I've heard of EXIF data, which is where I think this info is stored, but am not sure how you can view it.

Thanks

7. manaheim

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, it's in the EXIF info. Google for Opanda EXIF. It's a free tool you can install that allows you to right-click the image and get the info right out of the browser. I think firefox will also tell you if you use that. Handy. :)