First Portrait With a Reflector

TylerF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
so I got a 5-in-1 reflector for my birthday (along with a nice umbrella set-up, but my triggers haven't come in the mail yet so I can't use it. grrrr) and I asked my mom and brother to help me a little. My brother wasn't the greatest holder but oh well. C&C is appreciated

301fz0i.jpg

I can barely tell that the reflector was used, which could be good or bad depending...

Composition wise, it seems kinda awkward bisecting your mom right through her clavicle and having the bottom of the frame where her sleeve ends (or about). I can see you were trying to keep the framing consistent with rule of thirds type stuff, but for portraits, it's not really necessary. A simple crop with her face in the center (horizontally) and the bottom of the frame ending right after where her shirt starts would look good I think.

Oh, highlights in her shirt are blown too.

thank you for the comment. i know the shirt is blown out. i seem to be having trouble getting the exposure throughout the whole picture for some reason. am i metering wrong?

Actually, with portraits the rule of thirds is typically quite useful and important. There are obviously exceptions, but it is usually a good rule to follow.

To be honest though, it doesn't really do much for me. I think the eyes are a little soft (it looks like it could be sharpened in post to a decent level). As was mentioned the front of the shirt is a little blown. Overall though, the pose is just a little boring. I think if her head was turned a little bit, and/or tilted a bit it would make the image more interesting.

Also, the background is a little boring, a more blurred background would probably be helpful. I don't know what you have, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

thanks for the comments, i think the eyes might appear softer than they are due to my editing. but they are still a bit soft. i have others where the shirt isnt blown out but either my brother wasnt holding the reflector right or my mom was messing around. It's hard to pose a family member who was kind of forced to be out there lol.

thanks again guys.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back