Family shoot trying out my 5D

jubb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just got a 5D a couple of weeks ago, and I'm settling in and learning all the new features and improvements over my Canon Rebel XS. I had a great time doing this session for this family. The family just had a great time interacting with each other. I think everyone had a great time. I had a ton of fun just editing these photos.

temple_tx_family_photographer_mc_1.jpg

Check out the blog post of this Family Photo Shoot.

Although nice, you just missed on all of them, I think.

The first one would have been great if the girl in back was in focus. The same with the girl in front, #4.

#3, had both girls been looking at the camera, mama mia!!!

In #2, the boy's smile is a little stiff.

My shoots are mostly candid, I just put my subjects out there and let them do what they do and I take pictures. I wish when I had something as good as #3 that just needs a minor change I could jump in with a little direction and perfect the shot. I just need to learn how to do that without disrupting the flow of the session and fun the kids are having.

I think I tend to focus on having a shallow depth of field so much that I often lose focus on my subjects. I'm working on stepping up my f-stop when my subjects are not all at the same distance from the lens, but I still have a long way to go to perfect this.

I wasn't complaining. I was just thinking, 'what if?'.

Oh wow... just sought out another computer to compare color too, and my calibration got way off. Those are disturbingly blue. Will be doing calibration right away to fix that.

As far as stopping down when I need to... definitely something I'm working on. Live & learn I suppose. There's always something I kick myself for and try to fix for next time.

Spyder3 Just arrived. I'm so excited to get my monitor calibrated. I just gotta figure out how to actually use this thing.

K, I got the Spyder3 and it helped me figure out that my screen was incredibly yellow the way it was preset. I'm not 100% sure the color is accurate now, but it seems better to me. My monitor is old and I may need to upgrade to get better color. Anyways, check out the re-edits and the second part of that shoot and let me know what you think.

Updated Family Shoot shots

Part II of the Family photo session

Most reactions

New Topics

Back