First "product" shot

MarkV1184

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was playing around with some sheets at my house making it into a backdrop. I decided to shoot one of my lenses!

My setup:

Nikon D90
SB-600 Flash in commander Mode
Nikon 35mm f1.8 lens

3813956244_8b2ebd3db8.jpg

3813956340_496b3b8598.jpg

I think these are very good shots. If they were mine
I would do 2 things:

- Get rid of that white spot in the top photo, it's
on the extreme left.

- If you have Photoshop you could make the sheet
bright white; I think it would look much better.

Regards,
Bob

^^ Agreed. A seamless sweep would do a world of difference. Poster Board from your local art supplies shop.

Your backgrounds (apart from the wrinkles) looks as if someone peed on it and the rest has a blue tinge to it. (Shadows and WB)

Yes, I did a quick check to see how it would look with a pass through the leveling tool on PS, and it fixed it real nice like.

I'm wondering if after you saw the results you were sorry you didn't take a little bit more time and use a paper backdrop? :)

Cheers, Don

Lol! Thanks Don :) I actually ran out this morning and got some white foam core boards to make a proper backdrop setup. This was my first attempt at a "product" shot and had fun with it, so I decided to make it a bit more official (by spending an extra $5).

Yes, I did a quick check to see how it would look with a pass through the leveling tool on PS, and it fixed it real nice like.

Awesome! do you mind showing me what you ended up with? I don't use photoshop much, but would love to learn a bit more about the post process with it.

Lol! Thanks Don :) I actually ran out this morning and got some white foam core boards to make a proper backdrop setup. This was my first attempt at a "product" shot and had fun with it, so I decided to make it a bit more official (by spending an extra $5).

The foam core could be used as reflectors but consider that with a paper backdrop there is no crease between the bottom and back... and no wrinkles, and a uniform color, dependant on lighting of course.

Please post your next series.

And be careful, the whole lighting, backdrops, etc. can be addicting :)

Cheers, Don

As dumb as this may sound, should I be metering off the white backdrop or off the subject itself?

When I get home, I will show you what two clicks in PS did for it.

If you have the program, simply go in to adjust levels, use the black eyedropper tool and pick your lense body (a near pitch black portion) and then select that, then grab the white dropper and select the background to fix it.
I meter off the subject. I usually select point meter and go from there. You dont want an ultra white background being factored into your subjects lighting.

As dumb as this may sound, should I be metering off the white backdrop or off the subject itself?

I found I received better results metering off the subject....

Cheers, Don

PS. Quick edit with select tool and paint bucket in Elements 7 :)

3813956340_496b3b8598.jpg

If its a product shot, as in something commissioned by a client for their catalogues or what not, you would want to have the brand name showing, nice and clear.

If its for stock photography, then no brand identifying marks should be visible...names, logos and such

Cheers, Don

So you meter the blown white (or any other color sweep) bakground?
What does this do for your darker tones, shadows, and overall contrast? What is the gain in this you see?

Last edited:

Cheers, Don

So you meter the blown white (or any other color sweep) bakground?
What does this do for your darker tones, shadows, and overall contrast? What is the gain in this you see?

He was asking what he should be metering.

Cheers, Don

Most reactions

New Topics

Back