Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
003_3.jpg
IMG_9686.jpg
_DSC9557.jpg
_MG_0258.jpg
_MG_4941.jpg

The first is a WTF. There's nothing good about it. Starting with her styling and posture, right through to the technical qualities of the picture.

The middle ones are OK. They're all staring at the camera like they're getting their school pictures taken.

The last one is brilliant. BOOM. Got the points of highest contrast on the kid's head, then the board secondary. Kid's got a great powerful posture, looks like he wants to eat the photographer, who is using a very low angle to great effect. Nailed it.

All of these could use some serious commenting but there are too many.
I'd rather comment on #2,#3 or #5 so pick one.

Last edited:
How about 5 and thank you in advance

IMO, the problems with 1-4, are that there is absolutely no personality showing in the subjects and there are numerous technical failings.

In #5, there are some technical issues that should be fixed - because they either interfere with the impact of the image or because they distract from the impact by niggling at the viewer's consciousness.

There's lots of useless empty space above the subject's head for no artistic reason.
There is a lot of perspective distortion, light poles and trees leaning in.
House is large and bright.
(I wouldn't have cropped quite so closely; forced to by removing the distortion.)

What is good is there is lots of personality in the stance of the subject and everything else in the picture, backgrounds, night, skateboard, add to the viewer's knowledge about the subject. It is bit low contrast in the subject, but it's liveable.

The image is coherent; all parts work together.
_MG_4941lllll.jpg

For first attempts you did ok, my advice would be look at your images longer and fix elements of distraction and enhance those elements which attract the eye...attached are examples of what I meaen
_IMG_4941.jpg
_IMG_0258.jpg

The 1st and 2nd ones really stand out to me. Both have lovely use of lighting and capture something emotive. Please please please ignore the first comment someone made about the first photo saying "There's nothing good about it", because that is a completely untrue statement. I love the grittiness in the image's quality; that imperfection to me adds something very interesting to it and really gives the image a mood. It has a lot of personality, both in the subject and in the technical qualities of the photograph. I love the way the light is projected on the ground, and this only adds to the image's evocative mood.

The second image captures a lot of personality to me as well. I love the lighting and the wisp of smoke going over his forehead.

I think the first two shots are very distinct from what you normally see in this forum, so expect to see a lot of "There's nothing good about it" whenever you post here if it's different from the generic print competition "rules". If you listen to all of that crap about perfection and listen to comments like the one made on your first image, your photos will end up looking exactly like everyone elses.

The last three images don't have the same punch in them that the first two have in my opinion. They're ok, but to me lack personality.

Last edited:
the same argument seems to keep carrying over in various threads lately.
there is no "critique validation police" here, and everyone is free to give whatever comments they feel is appropriate.
should someone feel a comment is inappropriate, the proper forum decorum is to report that post and let the mods sort it out. further arguing over such trifles will result in a time out.
we appreciate everyone's compliance in this matter.

Last edited:
for me, #1 gets tossed for focus issues.
#2 is interesting, and I think it would have made a good "tall" shot. perhaps just a little more DOF as well, maybe.
either way, its a decent shot as-is.
#3 and #4 I like as portrait shots. I like the extra space in 3, and the tighter crop in 4.
Lews crop of #5 is the winner, and the backlighting makes it an interesting shot.

your off to a good start. photography is a lot of hit or miss, fine tuning, and practice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back