First Test Run - Tokina 300 F2.8

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I wanted a big fast lens for a while now, and I came across a great deal on a Tokina 300 F2.8 AT-x II. I couldn't even wait for the post office to deliver it so I called them at 8:30 and arranged to pick it up. I had a quick run with it. I like it so far. I think I shot all of these with a Tamron 1.4x TC. I'm thinking a touch of fine tune will be needed when I have more time. It's a beast weighing in around 5 pounds or so. It will take a little bit to get used to, seems exposures are a little different than I am used to.. Thoughts or comments welcome...

Sparrow Test Tokina 300 F2.8 by krisinct, on Flickr

Osprey Flight Tokina day 1 -2 by krisinct, on Flickr

Osprey Flight Tokina day 1 -6 by krisinct, on Flickr

Osprey Flight Tokina day 1 -5 by krisinct, on Flickr

Ah, so THAT's your new toy! Congratulations! I considered something like that, just for that nice f/2.8 option, but the longer range won out in the end. Maybe by next year I can add to the arsenal.

Those are amazingly sharp, especially considering you were using the TC. Did you have to crop these any more than you were doing with the Tammy pics?

Awesome captures.... I really like the last one: "Uh uh.... this is mine.... you ain't getting it!"

Looked at in the biggest size on Flickr, shots 1 and 2 seem to have some color fringing...those look like maybe teleconverter shots??? Second two look better, but are smaller. Hope you like the new lens.

Looked at in the biggest size on Flickr, shots 1 and 2 seem to have some color fringing...those look like maybe teleconverter shots??? Second two look better, but are smaller. Hope you like the new lens.
I shot them all with a TC. I processed them really quick because I have to head off to work. I didn't bother with CA removal for these... So far I like it a lot. It is a different animal than the Tamron for sure....

Looks like a sharp lens. The exposure is determined by you, not the lens. If it's too bright, dial it down. With the small bird I would have automatically dialed down -1 as a starting point before taking a shot.

I have the Canon 300mm 2.8L on its way from Canon pro services. I get this bad boy for two weeks. I have been lifting weights in the mean time. I sure hope I don't love it. :)

Ah, so THAT's your new toy! Congratulations! I considered something like that, just for that nice f/2.8 option, but the longer range won out in the end. Maybe by next year I can add to the arsenal.

Those are amazingly sharp, especially considering you were using the TC. Did you have to crop these any more than you were doing with the Tammy pics?

I know exactly what you mean because I have the same dilemna. Do I make use of the 1.4 canon tc with a prime (maybe 300F4) or join the 150-500 Sigma crowd. Leaning towards the Sigma after seeing such great results from you all.

I know exactly what you mean because I have the same dilemna. Do I make use of the 1.4 canon tc with a prime (maybe 300F4) or join the 150-500 Sigma crowd. Leaning towards the Sigma after seeing such great results from you all.
That's why I really wanted the f2.8. Throw the 1.4 on there and I have a 420 F4. I think the sparrow was actually with a 2x tc. I don't think I can really say what I paid for the lens it might be sickening to some. I can't wait to get it shaped in over the next couple of days

Pretty nice for that much of a crop; seems like the sparrow is maybe JUST starting to lose a little sharpness, but still--really, really comparable to the 500 imo. I'm probably still pretty glad I went with the Sigma, but nice to see how good the results can be with a 300 f/2.8.

Jaca, I went back and forth and back and forth some more over just that dilemma (although with Nikon...)--get a faster 300, something like the fast and versatile 70-200 f/2.8 and have to crop like crazy or put the 1.4x TC on it, or do I go for the Sigma 150-500 and get closer to the reach I really want, but pay for it in f/stops? Of course, you already know I went for the Sigma. I'm still not sure whether or not it beats cropping the photos from a faster, but shorter lens...but I'm pretty sure I'm going to love having it.

That's why I really wanted the f2.8. Throw the 1.4 on there and I have a 420 F4. I think the sparrow was actually with a 2x tc. I don't think I can really say what I paid for the lens it might be sickening to some. I can't wait to get it shaped in over the next couple of days

Haaaa, either way it's all sickening! I have a whole lot of want and very little need :lol:

If you have 7 grand at your disposal I will let you know how the 300 2.8L performs. :)

Yikes 7K!!! I'll be more than happy if I can get 90% of the results of the Nikon or Canon 300 f2.8 with the Tokina...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back