Rabbit Kitten

hayley.price

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay so this is my first post of a picture on the forum and i hope i get it right lol

day 103, spring baby by AppleRose Pictures, on Flickr

This picture was taken as part of my 365 project, and the kitten was sitting in one of my neighbours front gardens as i walked back from taking pictures, so i got very lucky with this shot.

i wouldn't say it was my best photo i had ever taken but it is one of my favourites and my most viewed on flickr.

A few details about this shot..

exposure 1/250
aperture f5.6
focal length 220mm
ISO 250
Shot in Aperture priority mode

I was in debates before uploading this photo to up the exposure a bit in Lightroom but when i did it just didn't look quite right so i decided to leave it like.

Thank you for reading my post and i look forward to receiving your advice and comments :)

Welcome to the forums :)

I'm surprised that, with the sites current rabbit madness, I'm the first to get here!

Out of interest do you have a calibrated monitor - and when I say calibrated I mean with a hardware based calibration device like a Spyder. If not then judging exposure on the screen can be tricky as many LCD screens have their contrast, saturation and backlights set very high by default (its a nightmare for photographers). I had a (very very quick) peek at your other works and wonder if your screen (at least compared to my own) might be a touch overly bright.

The exposure itself looks very solid and the light smooth and soft, no problems there at all, so its more a case that I think you do have a little more room to maybe push the exposure up a little and brighten the shot - just take the edge of the darkness in what is otherwise a nice contrasty shot.

Welcome to the forums :)

I'm surprised that, with the sites current rabbit madness, I'm the first to get here!

Out of interest do you have a calibrated monitor - and when I say calibrated I mean with a hardware based calibration device like a Spyder. If not then judging exposure on the screen can be tricky as many LCD screens have their contrast, saturation and backlights set very high by default (its a nightmare for photographers). I had a (very very quick) peek at your other works and wonder if your screen (at least compared to my own) might be a touch overly bright.

The exposure itself looks very solid and the light smooth and soft, no problems there at all, so its more a case that I think you do have a little more room to maybe push the exposure up a little and brighten the shot - just take the edge of the darkness in what is otherwise a nice contrasty shot.

thanks for your comment and it has been asked before is my screen is calibrated as some have said to me my photos are all majorly over exposed when some say they are really underexposed, but i have a brand new macbook with retina display that was calibrated in the store when i borght a couple of months back, so it should be fine, not calibrated it myself tho.

The shot is about 2/3 of a stop underexposed when viewed in both CS5 and Capture NX2 on my PC after downloading. My monitor is calibrated.
Cute shot!

Same here when viewed on my Macbook Pro No retina with iphoto and NX2 shows underexposed.The picture is nice and sharp though with good detail,cute bunny wabbit.

Last edited:
Hayley I know it costs, but look into getting something like a Spyder 3 for colour calibration. There is also the Colour Monkey (I think that is the right name).

Its a simple device that you can use at home and its important to use it every few weeks so that the screen can be recalibrated to account for drift (all screens will typically drift over time so its worth owning a screen calibrator).

The other way to measure exposure is on the histogram - very easy to tell if you've overexposed, little more tricky except for more extreme cases of underexposure but its a good and unbiased way to review photo exposure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back