First time buying film scanner

blinded

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I need advice on purchasing a film scanner. I want to keep it under $500CDN. I've been borrowing an HP one that scans at a max of 2400dpi, and have been using the photos for a website and a small publication, and it works decently. If it can scan medium format, it is a bonus.

I don't need to scan prints, I have a flatbed scanner.

Any reccomendations? I've heard Minolta makes nice ones, and I'm most likely looking to buy off ebay.

I'm still learning to get better scans with mine but everyone I've talked to that knows film scanners says you can't beat the Minolta DiMage IV for quality versus price. I'm finally learning enough that prints from scans and prints directly from slide are looking the same. That's color though. Digital and my style of B&W are still out discussing the details :wink:

The cheapest scanners that will do MF are flatbeds with transparency drawers. Epson and Microtek make nice ones. My buddy has a Microtek, and he loves it for scanning MF and LF, but he says it doesn't do so good on 35mm (good enough for web publishing, and smaller prints, but not large prints). From what I've seen, it's still probably cheaper to get a dedicated 35mm film scanner for the 35mm, and the flatbed for the MF and LF, than it is to buy one dedicated film scanner that'll do both 35mm and MF.

I'm ordering a Microtek i900 next week.

I have a microtek 5700 I got on ebay for $45 after shipping. It scans up to 4x5" transparencies @ a true 1200 dpi. Gives me ok prints at 8x10 to proof. Bit it's really for when I post to the web. Then if I want a good scan of something important, I'll send away to have a drum scan done.

For 35mm I have the dual scan iii and it works wonderfully. Has the highest dynamic range for any scanner in it's class @ 4.8.

If you decide to buy a scanner, you might like to call the manufacturer and ask about international warranty, because a lot of Canadian branches are pretty anal about them. Minolta Canada won't service scanners that aren't bought from authorized Canadian resellers, for instance (basically places like Henry's).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back