First time strobist c&c

Dieselboy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well sort of, my first time using a speed light (oldschool Promatic from the 80's). Don't do many portraits so critique away.

Nikon D40, 1/320 @ f/3.8 ISO 200.

4822753646_e1d21b9fbb_b.jpg

Different, lol. Lighting looks good for the type of shot.

What lighting did you use in the bike shots posted earlier if this is your "first" strobed shot?

~Tom

Different, lol. Lighting looks good for the type of shot.

What lighting did you use in the bike shots posted earlier if this is your "first" strobed shot?

~Tom

For the bike shots I used vvv. This was my first attempt with a speed light. Trying to legitimatize a little bit.
pACE3-2834335dt.jpg

lol, what do you mean "legitimize"? You telling me you can't shoot a wedding using a DeWalt flashlight? Duct tape it to the end of a hockey stick and you're all set!

Using a flash, especially off-camera, opens a whole new world of creativity.

Now all you need to do is head downtown and get some ladies to pose on the bike for you and your DeWalt setup....:wink:

~Tom

Rotating the camera would have made that shot of the young lady MUCH more visually rewarding. I know I harp on it all the time, but WHY,exactly, is this shot done as a horizontal?? To include the brick wall over on the left hand side? Because the camera is easier to shoot horizontally?

By shooting with a bad case of horizontalitis, tonight there are two separate photographers here on TPF, you in this thread and another long-time poster in another thread, both offering up shots of the day, and both have been ruined by orienting the camera horizontally on a vertical subject. In the shot of the woman flipping her hair upward--you've hacked her off below the bust AND you have hacked off the top of the beautiful hair she is flipping upward...and so, on the presumptive main subject of this type of shot, the "hair flip shot", your framing does not show the hair entirely, but instead gives us brick wall to the left of her...

Rotate the camera...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back