First try at studio

cornetlord

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.snazzyshutter.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I just got a few new studio strobes and this is my very first attempt ever with any studio work as well as first time ever trying it wireless...let me know...please be as honest as you can be! Each of my dogs as well as myself! I know my white t-shirt on the white background is not the best idea but it was spur of the moment!

$_MG_3390.jpg$_MG_3399.jpg$_MG_3403.jpg

The depth of field looks too narrow... but i like the sharpness of the lens. What are you shooting with?

50mm 1.8....I noticed that it may be just a little too narrow..I was more concerned about lighting since this was kinda a jump in a go for it...next attempt i'll try getting everything all together lol.

If you have studio lights, unless you're TRYING to have an insanely shallow DoF, why would you shoot wide open?

I've always liked shallow DoF, and this is my very first time shooting with any studio lighting what so ever....so I have to get used to not having to shoot wide open...I've never been a big fan of flash at all and prefer natural light, but wanted to take a crack at studio shooting.

I've always liked shallow DoF, and this is my very first time shooting with any studio lighting what so ever....so I have to get used to not having to shoot wide open...I've never been a big fan of flash at all and prefer natural light, but wanted to take a crack at studio shooting.
Ahhhh. I missed the "never shot studio lights" portion up there

I used a three light set up...I used to studio strobes that I just purchased as well as my Speedlite all three with umbrella diffusers...I used my Canon 60D as my trigger... and this is what I got...i played with the power levels a little bit to get what i wanted without much shadow......I only used the on camera flash to trigger the slaves I did not use it to be apart of the exposure... If there is anyone wiht advice for this kind of setup let me know...it took me forever to find the right settings to get everything to fire.

If you get a wireless hotshoe setup and some pocket wizards, that would eliminate the popup flash, because you don't have PC sync on your body.

All three dogs :wink: look great. I too am a fan of shallow DoF.

Your models in the first to look relaxed, but the third looks spastic! j/k

What Lights are you using? Alien Bee?

A good start for a first-ever!!! Keep working on it, see whatcha can do, keep experimenting, reading, learning, shooting!

I wish they would have put a PC sync on the 60D, kinda silly for them not to. I love the camera it is amazing... It is a little bit of a pain to fire with the popup flash however it is not too bad once you get the settings worked out. I will be getting some pocket wizards but I spent quite a bit this time getting everything I have now so far.

Take the umbrellas, walk them out into the middle of the street in front of your house and light them on fire.

Then, grab some cheapo softboxes on ebay (get better ones after you get the hang of it), and try some of these shots again. Before I even read that these were shot with umbrellas, I thought "these were shot with umbrellas." Personally, you can already figure out my thoughts about umbrellas and how they wash everything out in a bath of mediocrity, but honestly you will notice a huge difference between those garbage modifiers and a good softbox.

Yes, there are situations that umbrellas are the best choice, but there far more that umbrellas drag the photos into utter crap.

PS, good start to studio shooting! I do a lot of studio shooting and I'm a very new shooter so, good job!

CA_ said:
Take the umbrellas, walk them out into the middle of the street in front of your house and light them on fire.

Then, grab some cheapo softboxes on ebay (get better ones after you get the hang of it), and try some of these shots again. Before I even read that these were shot with umbrellas, I thought "these were shot with umbrellas." Personally, you can already figure out my thoughts about umbrellas and how they wash everything out in a bath of mediocrity, but honestly you will notice a huge difference between those garbage modifiers and a good softbox.

Yes, there are situations that umbrellas are the best choice, but there far more that umbrellas drag the photos into utter crap.

PS, good start to studio shooting! I do a lot of studio shooting and I'm a very new shooter so, good job!

Uhh... Gotta disagree with you there. How you set up your lights dictates if your subject will be "washed out in a bath of mediocrity." That has nothing to do with the umbrellas.

CA_ said:

Uhh... Gotta disagree with you there. How you set up your lights dictates if your subject will be "washed out in a bath of mediocrity." That has nothing to do with the umbrellas.

We'll have to agree to disagree! :) I like how the softbox softly wraps the skin, where as umbrellas make most of the photos look like $9.99 Kmart Photo Studio specials, but that's just me (I'm very new so I'm probably using them all wrong or something).

But to each their own

Most reactions

Back