First wedding!

Mikeyb90

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got the opportunity to be a second shooter at a wedding. This was my first time shooting in a high pressure scenario. Typically I shoot raw + jpeg but this time was jpeg only (photographers preference). The weather conditions were perfect! minus the fact that it was 86 degrees. Here's a couple of my favorite shots. let me know what you think!

Upload1.jpg

Upload2.jpg

Why the long faces?

The technical side of these are fine, but the expressions would make me bin them both at step one. It's fine for the mother of the bride to look sad at the thought of losing her daughter, but the bride should NOT look sad at her own wedding, nor should the groom.

The bride looks like she has had enough. Yes, she should be smiling and and the bouquet should not appear to be a heavy burden. Wouldn't hurt if they could manage to look at each other - they have years ahead to ignore each other.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

It looks like maybe an attempt to look wistful or something that didn't quite work. Or maybe they were hot and miserable (I would be, all dressed up out in the heat).

I'd also watch the vantage point - the tree left of her might have been better not partly behind her, and the edge of the brick wall he's perching on doesn't need to be in the photo. Even if the background is somewhat out of focus, it shows. Taking a step or two or a few to change the vantage point can make the difference, and/or figuring out where to put the subjects before they get into place.

Good opportunity to learn being a second shooter.

Thank you for the feedback! I was shooting after the main photographer here mostly practicing my exposure. And it was a long hot day. After looking at my reel from the day I need to practice my focusing and composition. I have a lot of soft pictures. Quite a few weddings ahead of me to practice

was this right out of camera? the skin texture looks really weird.
also shooting in RAW especially 14bit raw would be preferably because of the extremes of white dress and dark suit.

also shooting in RAW especially 14bit raw would be preferably because of the extremes of white dress and dark suit.
They were second shooting for a photographer who asked them not to shoot RAW.

The second shot looks like, oh crap, I think I screwed up. Look at all these drunks on his side.... The images are different though and technically pretty nice.

And this is why raw is superior

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

And this is why raw is superior

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
That makes no sense to me. How is the photographer's request for them to shoot in JPEG any sort of reason as to why RAW is superior?

I'm only pointing out the fallacy in telling the OP that they should be shooting in RAW, as the photographer had no choice in whether they could shoot in the superior format whether they wanted to or not. They made the right choice, as it was what the person paying them instructed them to do. Yes, RAW is superior and no one is arguing that fact, but shooting in that format would have likely resulted in them not getting paid, and not being asked to second shoot again. The OP even said in the original post that they normally shoot in raw format. What do you expect, for them to go to the photographer who hired them and point out what they're doing wrong? That's a very easy way to quickly be shooed out of their office and never to be hired again by that photographer, or to ever receive any sort of referral from that photographer to maybe take on a wedding as the main shooter if they can't take a certain date for a wedding in their calendar.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the mottled lighting of the first, but your second shot is pretty decent.

Even if you can't see the groom's face, I would have had him looking down at his bride, as opposed to off in the distance to camera-left. I would have positioned the bride's hand a little lower so it gives his shoulder some breathing room. And as the others said, a happier expression for the fair lady.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back