Flash or no flash?

Richelle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Canon Rebel, a Canon 50mm F1.4 and a 70-200mm F2.8 lens. So far I haven't had to use a flash but I want to experiment more with sunset time potraits and dusk. I really prefer using natural light but when there isn't much of it do I need a flash? How do you shoot at night? Help would be greatly appreciated. :D

I have this same problem... Every time I use flash in low-light situations, it comes across as a very fake light. I've only had limited success, and that was only as a fill-flash once in a while.

BTW, you take fairly good shots to have never used artificial lighting before. I thought those lenses were the equipment of someone who knows a bit about what they're buying.

I always avoid using artificial lighting when possible. The flash just really takes away from the natural look, and will ruin many pictures. Set the ISO higher than you would in the daylight, and increase apperture, unless you have a tripod, then you don't have to worry about shaking.

If you have someone that can act as your assistant, a reflector dish will make a huge difference and also look nicer than flash lighting. If you go that route you also won't be limited by your camera's maximum flash sync speed, which is usually something like 1/200s or slower, which will prevent you from using a large aperture for subject isolation. If that's not an option, flash with a diffuser and possibly colored gel filters might look good too. Off -camera flash will almost always look nicer too, so getting some sort of remote setup is another route.

I have a Canon too.
I also prefer using natural light.
I don't use flash, and because of that I don't recommend to use that.
To my opinion natural light Is the best.

I always avoid using artificial lighting when possible. The flash just really takes away from the natural look, and will ruin many pictures. Set the ISO higher than you would in the daylight, and increase apperture, unless you have a tripod, then you don't have to worry about shaking.

The flash just really takes away from the natural look if you don't know how to manipulate it to get the look you want. The two photos I have below have been taken with strobes. Tell me how artificial they look and how ruined they are.

If you have someone that can act as your assistant, a reflector dish will make a huge difference and also look nicer than flash lighting. If you go that route you also won't be limited by your camera's maximum flash sync speed, which is usually something like 1/200s or slower, which will prevent you from using a large aperture for subject isolation. If that's not an option, flash with a diffuser and possibly colored gel filters might look good too. Off -camera flash will almost always look nicer too, so getting some sort of remote setup is another route.

Again, if you don't know how to manipulate your tools for the desired effect. In fact, reflector and flashes are great used together with ambient light.

I have a Canon too.
I also prefer using natural light.
I don't use flash, and because of that I don't recommend to use that.
To my opinion natural light Is the best.

This is what I find is the number one reason people say not to use flash and that it give you crappy results.

The two shots below are 100% strobe light. If it wasn't for using strobes, they would have looked like real crap. It's all about learning how to use it correctly.

Good flash often looks like ambient, unless you're going for something more artificial and different.

Click for Flickr pages:

Flash only looks artificial if you don't know how to use it. I myself don't know how to use it, but if you become a master of using just one off camera flash, a whole new world of possibilities is opened up.

Have a look at Bert Stephanie's Confessions of a Photographer series. He mostly shoots fashon and really shows just what one budget (Vivitar 285HV) off camera strobe can achieve. His shots come out amazing. Also read his blog, as well as the Strobist blog linked above.

I have this same problem... Every time I use flash in low-light situations, it comes across as a very fake light. I've only had limited success, and that was only as a fill-flash once in a while.

BTW, you take fairly good shots to have never used artificial lighting before. I thought those lenses were the equipment of someone who knows a bit about what they're buying.

Thanks. I do know what I'm buying (I've done alot of research) but I'm still learning how to use my equipment. =)

The flash just really takes away from the natural look if you don't know how to manipulate it to get the look you want. The two photos I have below have been taken with strobes. Tell me how artificial they look and how ruined they are.

Again, if you don't know how to manipulate your tools for the desired effect. In fact, reflector and flashes are great used together with ambient light.

This is what I find is the number one reason people say not to use flash and that it give you crappy results.

The two shots below are 100% strobe light. If it wasn't for using strobes, they would have looked like real crap. It's all about learning how to use it correctly.

Good flash often looks like ambient, unless you're going for something more artificial and different.

Click for Flickr pages:

Ok, I'm not trying to sound like a complete idiot but what exactly is a strobe light? How does it work?

Strobe is just another name for flash.

The flash just really takes away from the natural look if you don't know how to manipulate it to get the look you want.

I agree 100%. Flashes are an utterly invaluable tool for any photographer. Yes, sometimes natural light works beautifully. But often, being able to control and manipulate the light you're working with is crucial.

Waaay too many "natural light photographers" are actually just people that haven't taken the time to learn, and master, flashes/strobes.

I agree with alot of what has been said here especially "Way to many 'natural light photographers' are people who...." you know the rest. Onegod link to follow that has been given already is http://strobist.blogspot.com/ it is a great place to learn about using your flash better. The forst hint I can give you about using a flash better is GET IT OFF YOUR CAMERA!!!. If you have a flash already go out and get yourself a ttl cord or some kind of radio triggering device The Strobist wil suggest some things for you or you can go here http://www.mpex.com/page.htm?PG=Strobist they have a whole Strobist section and sell alot of gear mentioned therin from the most expensive to the cheapest. No matter wht kind of artistic stand you are taking the flash is a tool and you do not know how to use it at your own peril. Someday you will need it and all of the artistic integrity you have will go out the window when you don't get the shot.

you don't have to be defensive and show me a picture of a girl giving a tatoo with a flash...all you had to say is that there are ways to manipulate the flash, and you too can get good photos with a flash, then you can show me the photos. But instead you took the route of saying, "tell me how artificial they look and how ruined they are". Like I was personally attacking you. Remember, people are trying to learn here, that is why it's called Beginner's Place, so if you don't know how to communicate to people, then please don't. Ontogeny Recapitulates Phylogeny.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back