Flash or no flash?

You know I really don't think showing examples of what he is trying to illustrate is some kind of attack on you.

you don't have to be defensive and show me a picture of a girl giving a tatoo with a flash...
...Remember, people are trying to learn here, that is why it's called Beginner's Place, so if you don't know how to communicate to people, then please don't.

I don't think he was condescending... Especially when you re-read your first post. You came off as though you were speaking authoritatively, flash "will ruin many pictures." Not as someone who just doesn't know how to use flash and consequently ruins their own photos when they try.

Based on your apparently authoritative post it was perfectly reasonable to post some good examples and ask for clarification on what you intended to say. No?

I always avoid using artificial lighting when possible. The flash just really takes away from the natural look, and will ruin many pictures. Set the ISO higher than you would in the daylight, and increase apperture, unless you have a tripod, then you don't have to worry about shaking.

Flash only looks artificial if you don't know how to use it.

Bingo! Almost any successful portrait photographer is a strobist. There are so many situations that can benefit from the proper use of a strobe.

I will admit... its tough "art" to learn. Certainly one of my "weak" areas I try to improve on.

JIP pointed out a link to the Strobist website... read it... its good info

I will admit... its tough "art" to learn. Certainly one of my "weak" areas I try to improve on.

JIP pointed out a link to the Strobist website... read it... its good info
Me too but I am getting better at it the more I read and, the more I use the flash. All it takes is patience and practice.

There are a lot of situations when balancing flash and natural light is critical to capturing an image that will print. Not getting defensive there are plenty of times when natural light will do just fine. But to become a complete professional strobe lighting techniques must be learned.

2560079474_1c4cebdc55.jpg

I just recently started using my flash outside in daylight with my 100-400 mm lens. This lens loves lots of light and using the flash for fill light really helps get shots in low light situations, such as in heavily wooded areas. I've also used it to freeze motion with humming birds shooting at 1/4000 shutter speed.

I like to shoot in natural light too, but I have to agree with the others that flash is a valuable tool that you need to master to be a well rounded photographer. Having a fast lens is often not the answer if you want more depth of field. The only other option is the tripod which presents its own limitations.

One of my favorite example shots where a flash was employed to very positive results is this one of my daughter...

gracetongue.jpg

(and I don't even think it's perfect... little too harsh... but I think it's pretty solid)

As others have said, flashes will give you a very nice picture in an area that might have otherwise been impossible (or very grainy due to higher ISO).

It takes a lot of practice, understanding the environment around you, understanding the textures and colors of the walls and how they will affect your flash, keeping in mind how close you are to your subject, knowing where to point it for a bounce flash, etc. but if done well the results are amazing.

...my god my daughter has a gigantic head. LOL

you don't have to be defensive and show me a picture of a girl giving a tatoo with a flash...all you had to say is that there are ways to manipulate the flash, and you too can get good photos with a flash, then you can show me the photos. But instead you took the route of saying, "tell me how artificial they look and how ruined they are". Like I was personally attacking you. Remember, people are trying to learn here, that is why it's called Beginner's Place, so if you don't know how to communicate to people, then please don't. Ontogeny Recapitulates Phylogeny.

Hey, I don't hide it. I'm usually arrogant and sometimes and ass. I don't care to see people post that something is false when they don't have experience with it or don't like it. That's why I'm such a stickler for hating on any "What camera should I buy threads" and that's why I'm so negative against any majority in any of those threads.

I don't know what I'm talking about so I won't comment is my favorite approach. Hate all you want, it won't change the fact that I'm a pig headed know it all.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back