flash/storbe

laam999

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For a while now I have been wanting both a new lens (think my heart is set on the 17-55mm IS f2.8) and an external flash unit.

I have recently got addicted to the strobist blog after lurking on these forums (I lurk way more than post since most people know more than me I generally have nothing of use to add to any discussion).

The flash I thought I wanted was the 580 II, this would help me future proof myself etc and since I have used them in the past would lower the learning curve.

Since reading the strobist blog however I think it could be a good option to buy 2 of the lighting kits from a partner site, thee links follow;

http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,6618.html

http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,6637.html

I know this isn't and amazing setup but for an amature like me I figured it would provide all I really need. It is only slightly more expensive than the flash I was orginially wanting and for that I get the whole shebang (not the best but every thing will be there).

I'm just wondering if any of you guys have bought any of these kits or somethign similar, I think they would be more than suffient for me right now, but I feel since I won't use the flash on the camera would it also be a good idea to get one of these kits without the flash and buy either a 580II or a 430II.

Thanks for any replies ^_^

It is an amazing setup. I started off with the same thing, except with Pocket Wizard triggers instead. You may want to get a white shoot through umbrella as well.

You can put the kit together cheaper yourself with a combination of pieces from b&H, mpex, and Ebay.

Ebay:
Used Vivitar 283 - About $35

B&H
Light Stand - $20
Umbrella Adapter - $15
White shoot through $20
3.5mm miniphone to Vivitar sync cable - $10 iirc

mpex:
Cactus V2S triggers - $30

That's about $130.

That or just buy the kit. Also, the rechargables are about useless. If you get the chance, drop $20 on a set of Sanyo Eneloop AA batteries with a charger. You get 4 and they last forever compared to the crap batteries in the kit.

Thanks a bunch for the responce, you think there is no need for a flash for sitting on my cam just yet then?

Thanks again

It really depends on how you shoot.

For me, there are plenty of times where I don't have the time or inclination to set up an off-camera flash. It's very easy to just put a flash on the hot-shoe, put it in E-TTL mode and then bounce it off whatever. It's a very nice option to have available.

Actually, a lot of the time I use a combination of off and on camera flash.

I know it's a fair bit more expensive, but I would recommend getting a 580EX flash. You can still use it off camera like the cheaper ones, but you can also use it on-camera or possibly off camera with Canon's remote capabilities, if you get another unit.

I used the 285HV on camera for a bit. It was worth it learning how to manually setup strobes. I eventually got a 580 II, but I rarely ever use it on the camera.

I carry the 580, a pc sync cable, a ball bungee, and two pocket wizards in my main bag to have along with my camera lenses. I've got to the point where it takes just a few seconds to bungee a PW to my flash and have it ready to shoot with.

Hi, I don't mean to hijack the thread but I want to get into the strobist thing too. I'm a Nikon D40 user but as a student don't really have the money for an SB-600/800 right now so I'm looking at 285HV's but now someone mentioned a 283, which I see are quite a bit cheaper.

Would you guys reccomend the 285HV over the 283 to a budding strobist? What has it got that the 283 hasn't?

+2 HV?

It's the modern version. The 283 was designed way back when and the 285HV is newer and designed for those digital cameras that can't take a trigger voltage over 8v, or whatever it is.

The NG's might be slightly different.

You can also find old Nikon strobes for fairly cheap. I think the SB-28 has an optical slave built in.

so it would be best to get one 580 II first and then buy a small kit to use it off cam and see if I ever do? If I do then I can but another setup with a cheaper flash or if by the time I need another I may be ablw to afford a 430II or another 580II.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back