Flickr and security

roadkill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know tons of yall have flickr accounts. I just created one and I'm concerned about putting my work up lest it get ripped off. Do I need to watermark or are there other steps I can take?

whenever your putting images online, its always smart to watermark them.. however, if someone really wants to steal your image, and has a little bit of photoshop know how, its very easy to remove a watermark... thats why you should make your watermark, not just a small thing in the bottom corner... also when uploading to sites like flicker, make sure your exif data is attached to the image, that way, if someone does steal it, chances are your exif will still be there, so you know its yours..

How do I make sure the exif data is attatched?

As far as i'm concerned, there are much better photographers on flickr then myself, which pretty much assures me that nobody is going to take an image in favor of much better pictures. And if they do, so what, the images on my flickr page aren't even big enough to print a 4x6.

You're posting online, whenever you do that, anyone can copy and paste or take a screen cap.

You're worrying about something that's really not that big of a deal.

Do you have a myspace or facebook? Do you have your picures up on it? Guess what, myspace and facebook own all the rights to those images when they are in your albums.

Ultimately, there is no security anywhere on the net for pics that cannot be circumvented. If someone wants your pic, they can get it. If you have concerns about this, just don't post your pics on the net.

It also has nothing whether other photographers are better than you or not. You get "something not so great", but it is exactly what someone wants, they will take it and you have no real way of knowing.

As far as i'm concerned, there are much better photographers on flickr then myself, which pretty much assures me that nobody is going to take an image in favor of much better pictures. And if they do, so what, the images on my flickr page aren't even big enough to print a 4x6.

You're posting online, whenever you do that, anyone can copy and paste or take a screen cap.

You're worrying about something that's really not that big of a deal.

Do you have a myspace or facebook? Do you have your picures up on it? Guess what, myspace and facebook own all the rights to those images when they are in your albums.

Most togs resize and downres before posting online, I do.

Re: the quote hilight: Photographers and I suspect most artists think along similar lines, we're our own best critics, hundreds of times I have thought about binning a shot I thought not up to par then having it turn out to be a top seller, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Not everyone sees a technically imperfect shot as trash, so be on the safe side and watermark/copyright.

whenever your putting images online, its always smart to watermark them.. however, if someone really wants to steal your image, and has a little bit of photoshop know how, its very easy to remove a watermark... thats why you should make your watermark, not just a small thing in the bottom corner... also when uploading to sites like flicker, make sure your exif data is attached to the image, that way, if someone does steal it, chances are your exif will still be there, so you know its yours..

Actually I would advise just the opposite. That is like telling him to frame the negitive with the picture then when it's stolen he'll know it's his because he left the negitive with the picture.

Destroy the exif information for web posted copies and keep it intact on one that will stay off the net. In the event it is swipped and used inappropriately to a point where one is taking it to court for damages. Having a copy with exif in tact wile the defendant has one with out is an advantage in much the same way as walking in with the negitive in hand leaving the other guy with nothing but a print.

Once you place your images into wherever on the www, they are no longer safe. Be it Flickr or any other of those photo hosts. Usually, everyone else can download them onto their own computers and pass them on as their own work. If you want to keep your own work to yourself, don't display it. In any other case: downsize it before you post it and don't let Flickr, for example, only SHOW a small version, but also keep the full-res version of your photo in the background.

I am an event shooter at Hot Import Night and the couple of times i go each year i get majority of my photos ripped. I find it funny and it doesn't bother me too much. It's mostly the models who take them for their portfolio or te car owner doing the same.

What did buh me this year was a local mmodel used 3 of my photos in her official portfolio. She did some edits and some major cropping. Did not the list me as credit (expected) and then when i sent her a friendly email teling her she can use the images and that I would love to setup a photoshoot with her, she responded that i was not experienced enough.

Thats understod, i guess, but if you are going to steal my work because it is good enough to benefit yourself you should also at least consider i might be experienced enough to produce nice images in a controlled atmosphere and maybe do something to help benefit me.

I don't get it gryphonslair... then what's the point of you're having a flickr account?

I don't get it gryphonslair... then what's the point of you're having a flickr account?

The point is simple. You have three options. Put them up in good quality and risk having them taken by those you do not want to. Put them up in reduced quality or with a watermark and possibly reduce having them taken or put them up for those that you want to provide access to and in my case took them for. You have to decide what your driving interest is here. Sharing them with 6 billion people or not. It comes down to what form of compromise you are willing to make.

Actually I would advise just the opposite. That is like telling him to frame the negitive with the picture then when it's stolen he'll know it's his because he left the negitive with the picture.
Destroy the exif information for web posted copies and keep it intact on one that will stay off the net.

Pointless. Images uploaded to flickr firstly do not have the complete exif data displayed, and secondly don't have any exif data embedded in the images themselves. If someone then wanted a copy with exif data they'd need to manually key in the few bits that Flickr gives you.

If you're paranoid about it simply don't upload a full size. No exif + no full size means he can never claim to have the original.

I once had a picture on the net that was stolen and published by Time
magazine. Of course, they neither asked for permission nor paid me a dime.

But, at least I can truthfully say I was published by Time. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back