flower close up from my light box

cosmoepic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hopefully you guys aren't getting annoyed by my flower pic posting from my lightbox but i'm having alot of fun with it and its nice to share with people who share your passion

flowercloseup.png

feel free to critique thanks!

Really nice shot. Great detail and color. The only real drawback that I can see is that you have to much light. The sides of the flower are getting washed out by the light. White balance is dead on this time too. Great job overall. Not sure what you have for lighting/diffusion but that would be my only real issue with this shot.

thank you so much and thank you to everyone who has helped me

im using tracing paper to diffuse, but i had the light sources pretty close to them which may have resulted in the slight wash out.

im also using the wrong bulbs im using one of those energy saving twirled bulbs

thank you so much and thank you to everyone who has helped me

im using tracing paper to diffuse, but i had the light sources pretty close to them which may have resulted in the slight wash out.

im also using the wrong bulbs im using one of those energy saving twirled bulbs

That is what I use when I do light box shots as well. They work just fine so long as you have the right white balance set up on the camera. Instead of tracing paper try freezer, wax or parchment paper. Its a little heavier and will work better if you have to keep the lights so close to the box.

will do, also what size is the paper you're using on the side?

also box size?

Hi Jonathan,

Do you really think posting a large MB image is going to make it look better ?

Anything in the 750 x 750 at a resolution of 75 will look just as good and load a lot faster.

As to the shot, move the lights back a hair or add another layer of diffusion or bump your f stop.

My personal preference is to have the majority of the object in focus but I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on this issue :)

Resized, - brightness, + contrast and some sharpening..

flowercloseup.jpg

And here's a source for CF bulbs with the right temp and affordable tents.

Cheers, Don

Last edited:
Not sure to be honest. If I had to guess off hand I would say that the paper is about the size of a legal sheet of paper but just a little wider.

when i load from RAW image into photobucket i convert it to a .png file since it doesnt lose any compression as far as the size of the shot i keep everything big for printing purposes

I don't understand, you load the large images to photobucket so you can print from There?

Along with capital letters and punctuation you haven't figured out how to downsize an image so people won't get bored waiting for them to load on a forum post?

I don't understand, you load the large images to photobucket so you can print from There?

Along with capital letters and punctuation you haven't figured out how to downsize an image so people won't get bored waiting for them to load on a forum post?

no reason to attack me on my grammar at all, i was asking about the photo, not if my typing skills were up to par :er:

it took all of 3 secs for this image to load on my computer in the forum so i dont think thats to bad, and yes i don't resize anything, i don't see a need to, so i upload the unedited image to photobucket. i hardly ever resize anything for that matter in case i wanna go back and print.

Really nice shot. Great detail and color. The only real drawback that I can see is that you have to much light. The sides of the flower are getting washed out by the light. White balance is dead on this time too. Great job overall. Not sure what you have for lighting/diffusion but that would be my only real issue with this shot.
I like the brightness (...call me crazy), I think it works with the colors of the flower. I think the issue is the background color. If it weren't white, we wouldn't lose the ends of the flower in this shot.

I like the brightness (...call me crazy), I think it works with the colors of the flower. I think the issue is the background color. If it weren't white, we wouldn't lose the ends of the flower in this shot.

thanks! i was thinking of doing it in a blue background as well helping the pink pop alittle bit more

Forgive my bluntness but your assumption that everyone has a similar high speed internet hookup borders on rude.

If you would care to review my posts above, I offered some suggestions and sources for the correct bulbs (5500k) and affordable light tents.

im not gonna let this post keep going on this route Don, (theres to much fighting on this forum lately anyways),all was asked was how the picture looked. Not my image size, or grammar and punctuation. you started off asking if i think keeping it at a large MP would be better,which sounded like you were picking a fight ind of, but honestly i like to keep the image as close to untouched as possible when posting on here so all detail can be easily seen by all and i can get good constructive criticism helping me become a better and more creative photographer.

i apologize for assuming everyone has a high speed internet connection, i guess i was wrong to think that, but please if you're going to critique my work, please do that, and not judge how its posted and how ive typed in the forum.

thank you for the bulb and light tent suggestions ill def look into it

thanks.

Forgive my bluntness but your assumption that everyone has a similar high speed internet hookup borders on rude.

If you would care to review my posts above, I offered some suggestions and sources for the correct bulbs (5500k) and affordable light tents.

If that shot were done in one of your little precious light tents rather than in his home made one, would you be making the same comments? I think not.

His image is huge because the first one is called a macro shot (im sure you knew that). Many photographers do them, and Many use white as a back drop. The brightness of the image is NOT too bright, and really shows the true vibrance of the color. Rip it and look at the histogram yourself, it's near perfect.

Props to you, cosmo, for the wonderful shots. Sorry I didn't reply to your PM, My internet connection is taking a poop on me, and I am lucky I am connected right now. It looks great!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back