focusing closeups

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by karthikeyan.sivanantham, May 25, 2008.

1. karthikeyan.sivanantham

karthikeyan.sivanantham TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
  2. PhotoDonkey

PhotoDonkey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The problem is that you're probably too close to the flower for the lens you're using.

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Somewhere in your manual in should tell you what the minimum focusing distance is for your camera. If you get any closer than that, you're not going to get a sharp picture. Ideally, find that distance and move back an inch or so.

If you can't find it in your manual, do a trial and error with a piece of newspaper, moving the camera back and forth, and determining at what distance the camera will no longer focus.

4. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is a minimum focusing distance issue, you are too close for that camera.

5. lockwood81

lockwood81 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't own that camera, but try using the macro setting. This will help when trying to focus on something up close.

Found this on a review site "The PowerShot's macro setting performs well, capturing a small minimum area of 0.86 x 0.65 inches (21.9 x 16.4 millimeters). Detail is strong and resolution is high. Note, however, that Macro focuses only at the wide angle end of the zoom range, requiring you to move the lens very close to the subject and consequently blocking much of the available light. The flash, not surprisingly, doesn't throttle down well, so plan on using external lighting for your closest macro shots with the A710." http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A710/A710A4.HTM