Focussing problem, plz help

ketan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
(1) I am messing up when I use SLR (30D) for this type of photos. Always one of the two persons get focussed. Had I taken this with my S 80 canon (compact) both of them would have come focussed and the otherone is blurred.

Gentleman is blurred
Palitanatrip164-1.jpg

Lady is slightly (comparatively) blurred
Palitanatrip625.jpg

(2) How do I learn good people photography.

Thanks

Thanks, but I see this more of perspective issue than apperture.
I just keep the setting on 'P' and click. I am not sure where should I have positioned myself to have perfect focussing of all persons.

When the aperture is too big (low f-number), less of the things in the picture will be in focus. Things in front and behind of the focal point will be blurred. Use a smaller aperture (higher f-number) and more will be in focus.

Thanks, in such cases would you recommend using fixed apperture mode (AV) say, at 5.6 will give better results?

Don't use the "P" setting. Put your camera on aperture priority and keep it something medium (F8-14). Then play around with it until you get what you want. After you are comfortable with Aperture Priority then you can venture deeper into your camera.

(This is just my suggestion).

Thanks, in such cases would you recommend using fixed aperture mode (AV) say, at 5.6 will give better results?
Yes.
No.

5.6 will not do the trick to increase DOF enough for you to get both people in focus if they are not both an equal distance from the camera. You need to get down to something more like f/11, f/16, maybe even f/22, depending on what your focal length is and how far apart they are in relation to where the camera is.

I suggest setting up a simple scene using some objects positioned at different distances from you. Think of books on a bookshelf where you're standing on one end of the bookshelf, so you see them all in perspective. Or a fence, where you're standing on one end of the fence and can see it in perspective.

Now, put the close end of the bookshelf or fence (or whatever) on one side of the camera frame, and the far end on the other side of the camera frame. Focus on the middle between them. Now shoot a series of photos at every different f stop from lowest to highest, and take a look at the results. You will then understand aperture well enough to know what to do.

Thanks, in such cases would you recommend using fixed aperture mode (AV) say, at 5.6 will give better results?
Yes.
No.

5.6 will not do the trick to increase DOF enough for you to get both people in focus if they are not both an equal distance from the camera. You need to get down to something more like f/11, f/16, maybe even f/22, depending on what your focal length is and how far apart they are in relation to where the camera is.

I suggest setting up a simple scene using some objects positioned at different distances from you. Think of books on a bookshelf where you're standing on one end of the bookshelf, so you see them all in perspective. Or a fence, where you're standing on one end of the fence and can see it in perspective.

Now, put the close end of the bookshelf or fence (or whatever) on one side of the camera frame, and the far end on the other side of the camera frame. Focus on the middle between them. Now shoot a series of photos at every different f stop from lowest to highest, and take a look at the results. You will then understand aperture well enough to know what to do.

Actually, it depends on several factors including aperture.

No.

Do tell...

No.

Do tell...

But sensor size doesn't matter? Oh, I forgot. I dared to question the great and glorious Buckster who knows all.

Do tell...

But sensor size doesn't matter? Oh, I forgot. I dared to question the great and glorious Buckster who knows all.
He already stated he's using a 30D. It's not a variable in the equation for this guy.

Oops. I did it again. I dared to suggest that the great glorious Buckster may have stated something incorrectly. Obvously, since it's not a "variable," then the DoF for that particular sensor doesn't matter, does it?

He already stated he's using a 30D. It's not a variable in the equation for this guy.

Oops. I did it again. I dared to suggest that the great glorious Buckster may have stated something incorrectly. Obvously, since it's not a "variable," then the DoF for that particular sensor doesn't matter, does it?
The guy needs more DOF and your advice to use f/5.6 was bad advice and not at all informative to help him with his problem. I corrected that and gave him useful information, as others in the thread have also done.

Now, because of some personal problem you have with me ever since I called you out on another bullspit assertion you made and couldn't back up in another thread, you want to start a pissing contest and 'correct' me by pointing out something that's irrelevant in light of the fact that the camera sensor is already established and will not be something for him to change from shot to shot in order to help him with his DOF problem, which is just plain ridiculous.

Or is that something you do every time you need to change DOF? Do you choose a different sensor size to help with that; "I need more DOF, so I'll use the camera phone on this shot!" Or maybe you have to tell yourself every time you compose, "let's see... I'm using an (x) sensor, so I have to do this..."?

Please stop your childish little tantrums against me. Try to act like an adult instead. Oh, and while you're at it, stop handing out misinformation to people looking for answers and solutions to real-world problems. When you don't know what you're talking about, resist the urge to pretend that you do.

Now run along. The adults are talking here.

The guy needs more DOF and your advice to use f/5.6 was bad advice and not at all informative to help him with his problem. I corrected that and gave him useful information, as others in the thread have also done.

Now, because of some personal problem you have with me ever since I called you out on another bullspit assertion you made and couldn't back up in another thread, you want to start a pissing contest and 'correct' me by pointing out something that's irrelevant in light of the fact that the camera sensor is already established and will not be something for him to change from shot to shot in order to help him with his DOF problem, which is just plain ridiculous.

Or is that something you do every time you need to change DOF? Do you choose a different sensor size to help with that; "I need more DOF, so I'll use the camera phone on this shot!" Or maybe you have to tell yourself every time you compose, "let's see... I'm using an (x) sensor, so I have to do this..."?

Please stop your childish little tantrums against me. Try to act like an adult instead. Oh, and while you're at it, stop handing out misinformation to people looking for answers and solutions to real-world problems. When you don't know what you're talking about, resist the urge to pretend that you do.

Now run along. The adults are talking here.

Damn! I did it again. I didn't realize that the OP's comparison with his P&S should be ignored. According to the glorious and perfect Buckster, the explanation for the difference is confidential information.

Most reactions

Back