For those who know... Nikon 80-200 Push Pull Worth $400?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by PhotoXopher, Nov 5, 2009.

1. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    There's one for sale locally and I don't know much about this lens since my recent research has been on the newer version and the Sigma version.

$400 seems pretty attractive, but if the lens is a big failure then well, not so much.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. PatrickHMS

PatrickHMS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I had a f/2.8 last summer, sold it on eBay for $595.00. Don't know what they are going for now.

I liked the lens while I had it, just didn't like the size of the lens, but the glass was nice.

3. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    it will depend on the condition of the lens

i asked my dealer recently about the value of mine as i am thinking of selling it, and they told me between 500-600 dollars.

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I've owned a couple of the very first 80-200 AF one-touch models--the pre-D model,both of them. The AF isn't super-fast on consumer bodies, but is faster on the D1 and D2 series bodies with their higher-torque motors. There was a D-capable one with one ring for zoom and focus as well, made beginning in 1992 I think.

This lens design is not quite as good as more recent lenses; the design is approaching 20 years old now, and there is some CA at the longer end of the focusing range, mostly noted when strong backlight meets silhouetted objects (tree branches, telephone wires) or really strong backlight,like outdoor lighting with an indoors person in front of it.

This lens has a couple things as pluses--it weighs almost a full POUND LESS than an 80-200 AF-S model...and it has no tripod ring on it...it was designed as a HAND-held telephoto zoom. Tripod mounts of the "sled" style are available from RRS and Kirk Enterprises. It has the fewest elements of any 80-200 or 70-200, plus ED glass, and it is pretty darned good when shooting right toward bright light sources; check the Pelican sign in this gallery. These images are going on eight years old now,and are pretty minimally processed.
    80-200 AF-ED One-Touch samples Photo Gallery by Derrel at pbase.com

The one ring makes it a very fast,handy lens for manually focusing and zooming, but you must flip the AF/M switch to shift modes. For $400, it gives a lot of positives. I'm serious about the 15 and 3/4 ounce weight difference between this and the last 80-200 AF-S model. Consider that an 85mm f/1.8 AF-D is around four bills now--this has 80,105,135,150,200,all in one tube.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  5. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks everyone... sounds like it might be a decent value for a consumer lens if the condition is good.

I really appreciate all the info and history - whether I get it or not I enjoy learning about them just the same.

-Chris

6. PatrickHMS

PatrickHMS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    +1 to what Derrel said...

Even if you don't like it, you oughta be able to resell it for $400 or more.

Forgot to mention that the Nikon lens is T - O - N - S better built than is the Sigma (I have had both the Sigma APO and the Nikon lenses), and you can just hold it to feel the difference.

7. joemc

joemc TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

+1 and +2...lol

8. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sounds like it's worth a go... if only I could find a buyer for my 18-250.

9. dhilberg

dhilberg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Tried Craigslist? That's where I sold my Nikon 18-200. It was sold in like four days.

10. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, trying now... thanks for the reminder :D

Still considering the new 80-200 f/2.8, I feel like this is a lens that will be with me for a long, long time.

11. itznfb

itznfb TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you're anything like me, a fast high quality 70-200 or 80-200 will become your new lover. My 70-200mm f/2.8G is the best toy I've ever purchased. Photography or not.

12. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I guess we have that in common (I think), I just ordered the new version :lol: