? for you dSLR users...

Bada Gora

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
craterlionproductions.com
Has anybody used one of those portable hard drives that copies the images directly from your media card onto a hard drive?

I am wondering if it would be cheaper to buy a portable hard drive or just buy quite a few memory cards... I am going to India this summer and would really like to avoid bringing a laptop if at all possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Brandon

Hey, yeh my Dads got one and its amazing...it also holds music, and short video clips if you can find the right file type.

Lets see, youll need a lot of memory cards....2...3? each being 1 gig...so thats about...for good ones....£300 - 350, and more in dollars...when you can get a nice 40gb hard drive thing for that much...leave it in the hotel, although I wouldnt advise that, and it also means you dont have to fumbal about with memory cards...I have two 1 gig cards and its cost me about £200, which with an extra £60 I could pick up a nice hdd.

Hope this helped :) any more questions please ask!

Yeah, I have one of those myself; got it just recently, as a matter of fact. I'm not up to the exchange rate from USD to Leros, (That's what they're called, right..?) but, mine cost very little... About $10, actually, but it is an older sort.

It's cheaper to get one of those portable HDDs as long as you don't want tons of cool options on it like a huge LCD and stuff. They have some generic ones for around the same price of two 1GB cards. There are also portable CD burners that work the same way except you burn all your images to a CD. The good thing about that is that you can buy CDs most anywhere so you don't have to worry about running out of space.

hobbes28 said:
It's cheaper to get one of those portable HDDs as long as you don't want tons of cool options on it like a huge LCD and stuff.
Agreed. My dad has quite a few of those, just like you described. Hardly cost more than dirt... But, dirt is actually expensive, when you think about it... <_<;;;

Do these cheap portable hdds transfer from a memory card? I dont need a display, but something that is cheap and jst can copy from a compact flash would be cool...

Yeah, they transfer from memory cards. I have a few that go directly into a camera, or do a number of things, but most can read cards.

Don't know what the Sterlings are either. ^_^; Sorry. I think there's a website for that... But, I can't seem to find it...

Yeah Bada Gora, I am gonna look into the Ipod Photo 60 gig model as well today.

Most reactions

Back