Free photos

Scroller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The whole reason that I invested in my camera t3i was because I have been in a position where I would love to have family pics done but when you don't have two nickels to rub together you cant pay for them. So I know there are people out there (friends and family) who don't have money but would love to have their pics taken. So my question is this I always hear people say I wouldn't do that...WHY? I inform my friend or family that I am a beginner and I don't charge because this is how I get my practice, they are ok with it plus they get a bunch of pics. So again whats the problem? Thanks

I won't do pro bono publico work because of the two possible outcomes:

1. Everyone likes it, so they will expect me to do the same for them.
2. It's terrible, and everyone will label me as a rotten photographer.

I look at and consider if the person or event or whatever would, or could, pay for photos. If they would then I don't do it. I don't want to take work from someone that needs it to put food on the table. If a charitable organization needs photos and can't pay someone then I'll do that. If someone has tried and can't get a working pro to do the job then I'll usually do it if I can.
I understand folks that will and folks that won't do pro-bono work but I'm old and retired so can do it my way....

The whole reason that I invested in my camera t3i was because I have been in a position where I would love to have family pics done but when you don't have two nickels to rub together you cant pay for them. So I know there are people out there (friends and family) who don't have money but would love to have their pics taken. So my question is this I always hear people say I wouldn't do that...WHY? I inform my friend or family that I am a beginner and I don't charge because this is how I get my practice, they are ok with it plus they get a bunch of pics. So again whats the problem? Thanks
There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with opening a can of worms, and people do that all the time.

This (in theory) makes so much sense that we wonder why everyone just starting out doesn't do that. It actually IS done when a beginning photographer and an aspiring model get together and trade posing time for photos, so why not the average hobbyist taking pictures for his friends and family?

Occasionally problems crop up, and since the arrangement is seldom well-defined, each party thinks the other guy screwed this up, and he/she ought to have treated me better, and they just don't appreciate what I do or how much time I spend at it, never mind the cash investment I have made, and why couldn't I post the photos on Instagram, like all my friends do, and who does he think he is, wanting to "own" the photographs, etc.?

You might get lucky and make portraits for your friends and family and experience no problems, but that would be rare, in my opinion.

If you're thinking of starting a photography business, at which point do you begin to charge the folks? How much do you charge the first time? How much do you charge the second or third time? Does your fee go higher as you gain more experience? Are the folks going to start paying for your work someday? How will you know when that day comes?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back