French Canadian shoot

skieur

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First one was shot at 1/4 second handheld. The lighting can look brighter than it really is.

skieur

movingtruck.jpg

shadows_filtered_2.jpg

suspensionbridge_filtered.jpg

pioneerwindow.jpg

#3 is interesting, but i have having a hard time finding the relation of these images. what was it that the client was looking for?

I like 3.

The first photo is not sharp, even when viewed at this small size. The photo does not appear to convey the intention of the lighting designer - it looks a lot less interesting that it probably was in real life. The colour balance is poor.

Numbers 2 and 4 appear to be framed haphazardly. I do not get the sense that there is any vision behind the images, but I don't know what the client was looking for.

Best,
Helen

Last edited:
The first photo is not sharp, even when viewed at this small size. The photo does not appear to convey the intention of the lighting designer - it looks a lot less interesting that it probably was in real life. The colour balance is poor.
If I'm not mistaken, this photo was taken in the Museum of Civilization in Ottawa. If so, there are multiple types of light source here, from very warm to very cold. Ironically, the amount of available light is very low. It's a very difficult spot to shot anything. I tried for a while but gave up after failing once and again. (I didn't have my tripod with me though, which is what I assume happened here too.)

Is number 3 the Capilano Suspension Bridge?

Number 4 is my favourite, I find it very interesting how you captured the deformation of the landscape through the window, making it look like a Van Gogh somehow. The ceiling and right wall not being properly aligned bug me a bit, though.

If I'm not mistaken, this photo was taken in the Museum of Civilization in Ottawa. If so, there are multiple types of light source here, from very warm to very cold. Ironically, the amount of available light is very low. It's a very difficult spot to shot anything. I tried for a while but gave up after failing once and again. (I didn't have my tripod with me though, which is what I assume happened here too.)

I guessed that 1, 2 and 4 could have been taken in a museum. This is the professional gallery, and images posted here should be judged accordingly. If you, as a visitor to the museum, do not come away with professional quality images you can be forgiven. It's a different matter if a professional delivers unsharp, poorly colour-balanced images to the client.

Best,
Helen

Well, I shot way more than what I needed for the client and the theme is extremely broad. Number 3 is in Coaticook in the Eastern Townships of Québec. The Capilano bridge has a slightly different shape as I remember in that it is more a U shape. As to #4, nothing was even and very little was straight around the window area and the wide angle distortion added to the mix. I shot to crop right to the black edge, if I decide to use it. The general purpose by the way was also to indicate shooting problems in some of the shots,(for the client) so in that respect your comments are interesting and valuable since beforehand I was not sure what would be noticed. I expected some things to be noticed that weren't including two photos that are split down the middle by distractions requiring some post work, or maybe not, depending on your view. No one mentioned the guy looking at me in one of the shots either.

The photos will be used more in page design formats rather than the usual photo print sizes so framing approaches are indeed rather irregular to say the least to leave room for adjustments. Sure photos can be resized but not always perfectly while keeping the aspect ratio accurate.

Thanks for the insights and comments. I lean toward the last two for possible use, if they fit in with my others.

skieur

The general purpose by the way was also to indicate shooting problems in some of the shots,(for the client) so in that respect your comments are interesting and valuable since beforehand I was not sure what would be noticed.

It might be an idea to show the images that indicate how a professional overcomes these problems, and at least one of the possible final crops that you envision.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back