Fresh Pickles!!

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Busy today -- just finished putting up 7 liters of fresh pickles. That's 15 liters so far this season (from the garden). I love pickles! Canon G7xmkii

pickles.jpg

Solid gold!
Try some kimchi sometime.
I've always wanted to -- going to have to get a recipe. We keep kraut going year round and punctuate that with items like radishes. Right now we also have a jar of burdock fermenting. I'm happiest when the produce comes from our garden like these cucumbers but to keep kraut year round we have to hit the grocery store in the winter. Got a big cabbage patch starting to form up heads right now.

I've always wanted to -- going to have to get a recipe. We keep kraut going year round and punctuate that with items like radishes. Right now we also have a jar of burdock fermenting. I'm happiest when the produce comes from our garden like these cucumbers but to keep kraut year round we have to hit the grocery store in the winter. Got a big cabbage patch starting to form up heads right now.
Tons of recipes online. Korean ingredients are usually around in any large N. American city. There was a kimchi "Renaissance" during the pandemic among Toronto's large Korean community. Grannies, Moms and Aunts got younger women who'd never made it before back into the kitchen to fill up those ceramic pots with the stuff. Some Korean friends really got into it. Luckily, I get to do QC duty for several. Everyone else in my crew hates the stuff! Their loss.

Looks absolutely delish! We've had a set of jars and a canning pot in the garage forever, but never have used it. I really need to give it a go.

Looks absolutely delish! We've had a set of jars and a canning pot in the garage forever, but never have used it. I really need to give it a go.
Fermentation! The zero energy way to preserve food. Start with a jar of kraut -- simple.

Those look good. I've never done fermentation. Always done mine with a brine cause that's how my Grandma did it.

Those look good. I've never done fermentation. Always done mine with a brine cause that's how my Grandma did it.
Fermentation still uses a salt brine but the salt content is low enough to still allow yeast to go to work. Trick is keeping the mold you don't want out -- that's what the water traps are for.

Last edited:
What's the thing on top do?
It's a water trap -- the jar lids have a hole drilled in the center with a gasket. The trap let's gasses escape while keeping outside air from getting in. Those traps should be available from any shop that caters to home beer makers. That's where we got ours.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back