FUNGUS at camera sensor?? Here is the solution!!

sapien

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there,

I really dont know here is the best place on this forum to share this info; if you can guide me, please, do it!

Even the tecnical personal of Canon says that the only solution its a new sensor!

However, if you got fungus in your sensor (as you can see in the picture) its possible to clean them out!

Check the cleaning and video i made at youtube:

best regards
11027969_927375933970069_2823777096947537234_o.jpg

99.99% of the folks here wouldn't even attempt this. Especially since it's just a video with music. A list of required tools, detailed steps and materials needed would be nice.

:)

Theres no "special" tools to perform the cleaning!
You clean the sensor as you clean the glass lens!

To open the camera you need a small screwdriver and some times a tweezer!
I used more tools to be more helpfull, but actually i could do only with a screwdriver!

Nevertheless, if you really want (and maybe more folks ask also) i can make a new detailed video !!

well... you can wacht another video that i replace the shutter of a Canon 450D (yes, only video and music):
Best regards

OK, so how many 'small screwdrivers' are there available?

And... do you use a Philips (00, 000, 0000?), or a JIS?

these types of videos can be very helpful long as they are detailed enough.

That's nifty and all, but I doubt I'd ever try this myself without some detailed instructions.

.....To open the camera you need a small screwdriver and some times a tweezer!
I used more tools to be more helpfull, but actually i could do only with a screwdriver!...........

I'd like to see you do that with a Nikon.
fiufiu.gif

It's not just tools- its locations of the key release screws; its the pressure needed to remove segments from clips without causing damage; its the environment (dust free); its a whole host of things.

Further its my understanding that once glass gets fungus upon it its very hard to remove it totally. You can clean it off, but it might come back again and sometimes the fungus/cleaning can remove coatings on the glass as well. So it can come with a host of complicating problems which, often, boil down to replacement over repair at the practical end.

Certainly if you've got the skills, time, equipment and likely at least one if not more DSLRs that you don't need any more you can give it a try. I very much doubt the average person is going to try themselves though.

You might get luck doing more in-depth tutorials for things like replacing the IR or UV filters on the sensor. But in general at present your video is interesting, might be useful to those who've done it before and just want a quick heads up on the order of progress; but otherwise its nor detailed nor informative enough for those without significant experience to gain anything informational from it.

hello,

The 1st cameras i cleaned (and 2 repairs) were from friends that had a "dead camera"!
Therefore, they havent nothing to loose once the camera was full of fungus or no-working at all!

I worked a few years reparing cell phones, but i never had a formal formation (school, etc) i just enjoy!

My friends ask me to give a try and i was suscessefull in all!
Nowadays, i make repair and cleanings to everyone!
I fixed about 20 cameras... never got one with no repair!

I shearch youtube, foruns... all internet, and i did not found any help about fungus on sensor (and others repairs)
Therefor, im making now videos to share things that i thinks may be helpfull! :p

I can make a step by step tutorial video, however... which camera?!
It takes a lot of time fixing the camera and, in special, cleaning the sensor (its a pain in the ass)!!

Below i post some pics with the important tools and the local i provide to avoid dust. Its a big plastic sheet and 2 softboxes holding it.

About the issue "cleaning can remove coatings", im aware of it. Nevertheless, its always better then with fungus and i charge only 65€ per cleaning!
A new sensor (here in Portugal) its no less than 150€ (only the sensor, without the "human labor".)
So, all my friends and "costumers" are quite happy!

Final question... wich kind of camera should i choose to make a very nice tutorial?! Professional? Semi-pro? Amateur?!

I waite for yours thoughts!

Thanks
Greatings

11050786_965419786832350_4790137120991073562_o.jpg
11206481_965419780165684_8015729166213557116_o.jpg
1410759_965419776832351_4391615172091154527_o.jpg

I think what you want to show depends what you want to do.

I think you could certainly carve out a good niche for yourself doing technical videos and guides. You really have to choose- will you do it entertainment style (which I would argue is what you have above) or take it more instructional. The latter requires a lot more work and time; even making hte videos and guides will be a long drawn out process as you document the stages. There's a great potential there though; and you can always do entertainment aspects alongside (since they'd be less demanding and could use much of hte same recorded material).

So its really your choice - you have to decide how far to jump down the rabbit hole :)

I may recive an Canon 5D to clean!

If so, i will make the VÍDEO with that camera!

chears!
;)

5D would be a good camera - its high end but now pretty cheap second hand - the kind someone could envision buying to mod or fix.

As an additional idea you could look up UV/IR (most likely infra red as its more widely known) filter kits. Since you're taking it all apart and doing a walkthrough you could include which sensor layer to swap and how to swap it over. That way you hit two markets at once; those wnating to clean and those after conversions.

Gary Honis ( ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY DIGITAL IMAGING by Gary Honis ) has instructions on how to do tear downs to the sensor level for numerous Canon bodies. I've not seen one for Nikon bodies.

Gary's instructions are actually intended for those who want to replace the standard factory filters with filters that are more suited to astrophotography. The locations of the screws vary by body and, in many cases, there are some body screws which are hiding under the rubbery body grips (so you have to peel a bit of material back to access them.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back