Gateway To The West

Neat shot!

Neat shot!

Thanks it was a dreadful day. There was what looked like a thermal inversion that day. Sky was impervious to the sun, and the sky was totally gray with no clouds.

Though functional, this bridge could almost be described as "Architectural Art". It is totally supported by the four large posts. Cables stretch from the tops of these posts out to equal distances on each side to support the bridge platforms. I was running short on time but the next trip up, I want to move up river to a better vantage point so I can actually get a side view, as it's actually quite beautiful in it's design.

Though functional, this bridge could almost be described as "Architectural Art". It is totally supported by the four large posts. Cables stretch from the tops of these posts out to equal distances on each side to support the bridge platforms. I was running short on time but the next trip up, I want to move up river to a better vantage point so I can actually get a side view, as it's actually quite beautiful in it's design.
Neat bridge. I think you are right - "Architectural Art" is a very good description. Thanks for the details. I was wondering what type of "suspension bridge" it was. From your description and the pictures, it looks like a cable-stayed bridge like the John James Audubon bridge over the Mississippi, rather than a suspension bridge like the Golden Gate Bridge. I am always curious about things like this. :biggrin-93:

Would be a neat picture to see it from the side as well. I hope you can get that image.

Cable-stayed bridge - Wikipedia has a sketch which compares the two - scroll down to see it.

WesternGuy

Last edited:
That is really intriguing! I had family in Cape Girardeau for many years, and this is really an impressive addition. It has a really nice glow in this shot.

I agree with Western Guy - would love to see more angles of it some time. Bridge design can be beautiful!

Neat bridge. I think you are right - "Architectural Art" is a very good description. Thanks for the details. I was wondering what type of "suspension bridge" it was. From your description and the pictures, it looks like a cable-stayed bridge like the John James Audubon bridge over the Mississippi, rather than a suspension bridge like the Golden Gate Bridge. I am always curious about things like this. :biggrin-93:

Would be a neat picture to see it from the side as well. I hope you can get that image.

Cable-stayed bridge - Wikipedia has a sketch which compares the two - scroll down to see it.

WesternGuy

I think it would best fit the "fan design" in that link you posted. Here's the old bridge, it was so narrow you really didn't want two trucks meeting at the same time, or you would likely hit mirrors. I can remember the old bridge was a toll bridge till not that long ago. Here's a link on the old bridge Cape Girardeau Bridge - Wikipedia . Here's a little more information on the new one. Bill Emerson Memorial Bridge - Wikipedia The article has one photo from the angle I originally was wanting to shoot, but the gate was locked on the levee road and I really didn't walk that far LOL There's also a location upriver on the Missouri side that I think I can get a better angle. From a beauty standpoint it is outstanding, either in the sun or lit up at night.

Last edited:
That is really intriguing! I had family in Cape Girardeau for many years, and this is really an impressive addition. It has a really nice glow in this shot.

I agree with Western Guy - would love to see more angles of it some time. Bridge design can be beautiful!

Thank you Terri, small world!!

Looking at the new bridge in the link you provided just shows me your vantage is much better than theirs! Yours definitely shows the " art " side of the design. I bet this bridge will morph with different lighting/weather . I really hope you can get back there and spend some time taking photos at different times of the day.

Looking at the new bridge in the link you provided just shows me your vantage is much better than theirs! Yours definitely shows the " art " side of the design. I bet this bridge will morph with different lighting/weather . I really hope you can get back there and spend some time taking photos at different times of the day.

Cape Girardeau is right on the edge of a topography change, go north and it's hilly, go south and it's flat land, so depending on where you are you can see it for a long way off rising like a gleaming metallic giant.

Another interesting fact is the bridge is on the infamous New Madrid fault line, where quakes are common. While we were there for the week, there were four with the epicenter 50 miles to the south that registered 2.0 or better. You feel them but they're so common you don't really think about it. According to the sources that track it, there were 224 in the last 365 days 1.5 or better. As a kid I can remember seeing the ground undulating on a couple.

That is a strong, intimidating structure. You gotta go back for more!

Will likely be in the spring now. We go up 2-3 times a year.

I did one later when we came back that I converted, but I don't know if it's the angle, the fact that the weather had turned worse, or the increased ISO, but it just didn't impress me as much as the other one.

Cape Bridge11042017_338-Edit.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back