Gear Advice for Landscape Photography Trip?

They say it going to be a bumper year, i have toured Scotland twice in the last 8 years and never had rain or midges but always gone in first week of September, but last time we were leaving Skye the winds were 100mph and we were going over Bealach na Bà

That would have been something indeed!

Aye the midgies can be really bad up that neck of the woods. Was in Kinlochewe the year before last on a work trip and got eaten by the wee buggers. The past few years spring and autumn has been fantastic weather wise. Was a great summer last year too. Wet winter has meant loads of places for them to breed and its been unseasonably warm too so won't be suprised if they are out in force this year. Your lucky to have avoided them

What a road to be on a bike mate, I had to youtube it but found a vid of a lad in a Caterham go up it. Looked like a blast. I'll need to visit it someday. Been on Raasay baut never that side of the mainland.

..............If you go to images.google.com and use a search term such as "wide angle cpl banding" you should get LOTS of examples. Variable ND filters have the same problem because they are really two polarizing filters stacked on each other (and you twist them to adjust how much light you want to block.) That means the variable NDs can get double banding (typically in an X shape pattern.)
I would be very surprised if any reputable variable ND filter did suffer from wide angle banding since any variable ND filter worthy of the name should be made with 1/4 wave plates both in front of the first polariser and behind the rear polariser so that light gets de-polarised before it hits the front polariser and again as it exits the rear polariser.

What a road to be on a bike mate, I had to youtube it but found a vid of a lad in a Caterham go up it. Looked like a blast. I'll need to visit it someday. Been on Raasay baut never that side of the mainland.
Not when there is 100mph winds

Update:
Been on a little spending spree as I had a few other things to get as my walking gear is pretty old now and my 15 year old boots finally packed in a few weeks ago. So I'm now sporting a nice pair of Meindl boots too.

So the gear I am planning to take is:

Main Gear:
Canon 7D
Neweer Battery grip
Blackrapid RS-7 strap with FR-T1 fastener
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 + hood
Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 OS + hood
Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3 + hood

Filters:
Kood 100mm Soft GNDs 1, 2 and 3 stop
Kood 100mm Hard GND 1, 2 and 3
stop
Kood 100mm ND 1, 2 and 3 stop
The Filter Dude 100mm filter holder with 77mm and 72mm adapter rings
77mm Marumi CPL
72mm Marumi CPL

Misc:
Velbon Sherpa Tripod
2x Yonguno RF603c triggers
Cable shutter release
Bubble level
Lenscoat Rainsleeve small
Lenscoat Rainsleeve large
3x 16GB memory cards
1 1800mah OEM battery
3x 1600mah off brand batteries (7dayshop)
Canon battery charger
Microfibre cloths
Lenspen LP-1
Spare AA and AAA batteries
Petzyl Myo headlamp
Small survival kit
Swiss army knife

All of the above I plan to fit in drybags in a Lowerpro 400AW backpack

And if anyone wants to know a good product for rewaterproofing a jacket Nikwax is the bomb.

I'll also be borrowing a laptop with around 200GB free space for viewing/backups.

I am a bit worried if 4 batteries will do me though. I may still purchace an OEM one and a Hanhel dual battery charger if I have enough cash at the end of the month.
Assuming you'll be staying in a lodge of some sort and not camping 4 batteries should suffice, but your bigger issue will be needing 3-4 chargers. If you burn through 3 batteries in a day, it won't matter how many batteries you have if you can only charge one per night.

A large format view camera is a must. Preferably 8x10 or 11x14 but I'm sure you could make do with 4x5.

Most reactions

Back