George Cross

Jeff15

Photographizing junkie!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Why do I have to have the Union flag? I live in England therefore it should be the George Cross..

In Scotland and Wales, the flags of St. Andrew and the Red Dragon represent a sense of national identity in spite of English domination. And exactly this is the problem for the George Cross: it is a symbol of oppression in many minds (also in England). It has undergone something of an image change starting with the Euro 96 football tournament, and has shed some of its historic culturally negative associations, but the shadows are long and it is still a slightly uncomfortable and awkward national flag.

Without getting into politics our current Scottish government have made my national flags (saltire and lion rampant) an embarrassment.

That said, I don't really identify with the union flag either. Can it be removed?

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 it's in the smiley section.

Sorry, I thought you were asking a pseudo political question. I like the Union Jack but also have a George Cross that I hang out in the garden when there's a World Cup or Euro competition. It raises a few eyebrows with my German neighbours but hey ho!

Ah, Ok now I see what you're saying. I'm usually on my phone oriented vertically so I never noticed those flags before. I wonder if it'd change if you changed the location in your profile? Lets see.........
Tried that and it didn't. Must go off IP address. Maybe a VPN is the way forward.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back