Getting a D90 but TORN about lenses :( help!

If I was in your situation, i'd get the 35mm f/1.8 for the candid, low light portraits and shallow DOF, a 55-200VR, and a used 18-70 for everything else. Not only would that cover most of your needs, but it would be flexible, All those lenses are really sharp, and you'll still have about $100 left for something else.

Would you recommend the 35mm f/1.8 over the 50mm f/1.4? I know the crop factor makes the 35mm more of a "natural eye" lens, but the 1.4 seems tempting for low light.

I'd suggest the 35, it's a more flexible range, 50 is a short tele on DX, but the 50 1.8 is so cheap, there's little reason not to get both.

I'd suggest the 35, it's a more flexible range, 50 is a short tele on DX, but the 50 1.8 is so cheap, there's little reason not to get both.

I agree.

I have thought about getting the 35mm too. If I were to do it over, I would get the 35mm first and then the 50mm just because it is so cheap.

I also have the 18 - 200 lens as my kit lens. Recently, I only take pics of my daughter and her friends at school sports and events. I have used it for many of these shots from portrait to sports. It did a great job. It stays on my camera in my bag and I still use it the most. I wanted a faster lens for sports so I do not use it for that reason anymore.

I do have it for sell, but only to fund a 24 - 70 2.8...

If you do not shoot sports then I think that it is a great lens for us non-pros!

I want to bump this thread with similar questions.

I'm bouncing around at the moment between lenses.
The ones I'm looking at are more entry level Nikon lenses, but on my budget I think I'd like to have a range of lenses cheaper, then upgrade down the line more towards what I actually USE.

Looking at 55-200mm AF-S VR, 18-55mm G (might go for the VR, but not sure I'd need it) and the 50mm f/1.4, but I might switch this and go for the 35mm based on what's been said here

Now, I know this is a bit of a range, and I may include the 50mm f/1.8 yet, but it's also pretty much the limit of my budget if I go body only, would it be worth just going for the kit lens and having a bigger tele for sports? It's either golf or kiting I'd be taking pictures of there...

Thoughts?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back