Getting frustrated with Nikon ... so, what about Canon, then?

^ Er... D50 and D90 do have integrated AF motors to drive AF-D lenses.

I wasn't sure hence why I said "I think". :)

The thing is, the part that is making you unhappy is because of your specific camera, unfortunately.

The answer is for you to move to a different camera with a better autofocus system. Whether that is Canon or Nikon, both have the answer for you, but I think that the next part is all in your hands as to what brand/model you will choose.

No matter what, it will be a significant amount of money, so take the time and do a lot of research and hands on until you are sure.

Good luck with your choice! :D

^ Did you write that post to one-up and insult me or actually offer advice? I'm going for the former.

i'm going to have to say your expectations are unrealistic. your entire setup in your sig costs less than a high end point and shoot.
What point and shoot costs over $1500?

if you're just going to jump ship to canon and max out at a $500 setup, you're not going to be any better off.
Next time, try reading the thread before responding... unless you actually managed to find a brand new Canon 40D for $500.

The point is that you are dissapointed with a cheap most entry level setup there is...yet you are comparing it to the 40d that you are wanting to jump ship to. Find a Rebel XT (that's the actual comparison to the D40...not the XS or XSI) and see if you are happier....compare apples to apples.

If you want to switch, then do it. If you have 1500 in your setup then you need to be careful and stop overpaying for stuff. Even if you had 4,000 in your setup, if you are shooting with a D40 the AF is going to be the same as a $450 D40 kit.

Canon's DO function completely different than a Nikon in regards to AF. My understanding is that no Canon has a motor built into the body and all AF lenses for Canon have a motor built into them. This has always been like that as far as I know which means that Canon may have the edge in this area. If it is really that big of an issue and you have already tested all the comparable Nikon's and Canon's, then what is even the point of this thread. If you hate the AF system of Nikon that much, then just change to Canon (I've considered it myself in the past...for different reasons).

The point is that you are dissapointed with a cheap most entry level setup there is...yet you are comparing it to the 40d that you are wanting to jump ship to. Find a Rebel XT (that's the actual comparison to the D40...not the XS or XSI) and see if you are happier....compare apples to apples.
I'm pretty sure I explained that I had used Canons of all sorts. I have used an XTi (never been able to find an XT) and I am still more impressed with the autofocus.

Make the plunge then. White lenses rock and everyone knows it. :)

Seriously, think of it this way. If you are having this thought now, you really need to figure it out. If you do not switch to Canon, you will always wonder what it was like. If you switch and like it, great. If you switch and do not find it was what you thought it would be, go back to Nikon and never look back. I shoot Canon and love it. I do see things that I really like about Nikon. I just feel they go back and forth. Sometimes you are the windshield. Sometimes you are the bug.

You know, that's kinda funny. I've heard more than one Canon nut say that they wish they could have Nikon's AF system in their white lenses. It really is as simple as your camera body (and some of those lenses) - it's not fair to expect a $10,000 used VW Bug to go at 200 mph. If you want better AF, get a better body. Even if the motor is inside the AF-S lens, it's still the camera body that tells the lens when to focus, and the D40 was purposely gimped on the performance side like JerryPH said.

As for your glass breaking on you - I'm liable to think your D40 might be a lemon. I have never, ever had a problem with Nikon equipment breaking on me with reasonable use. Thus, I couldn't care less about a warranty that I don't use.

I've used a D40 - it sucks. Big time. Moving up the ladder, each rung is an exponential improvement. If you want to shoot professionally in any capacity, you need a pro body. Save up and buy one.

You know, that's kinda funny. I've heard more than one Canon nut say that they wish they could have Nikon's AF system in their white lenses.
Unfortunately the AF system is in the body, only the AF motor is in the lens.

As for AF systems, there isn't a camera made that impresses me more than the 1D and its AF system. It's simply the best system I've used and so completely configurable (and quickly) that it's mind boggling.

The new system in the D700 and D3 is nice, but I still prefer the 1D system.

I'm pretty sure I explained that I had used Canons of all sorts. I have used an XTi (never been able to find an XT) and I am still more impressed with the autofocus.

I'm pretty sure I just explained how the two system's AF are different and why you are noticing a difference.

I still don't understand....if it's that big of a deal to you then switch. Despite what you think, you don't have a lot of money invested into gear at the moment so now would be the time to switch.

^ Did you write that post to one-up and insult me or actually offer advice? I'm going for the former.

neither. i wrote to point out that your expectations are unrealistic

i'm going to have to say your expectations are unrealistic. your entire setup in your sig costs less than a high end point and shoot.
What point and shoot costs over $1500?

as NateS said. if you paid $1500 for that gear you overpaid.
if you're going to jump ship just because your entry level doesn't perform like a pro, then have fun just as disapointed with canon. you'll find something to hate about it i'm sure.

.........The D40's are well known to be very slow to focus because they have no internal focus motors... these are ALL built into the lenses.........:)

If we interpolate from this statement, we are forced to conclude that all Canon cameras are slow to focus because none of them have focus motors in the camera body. :lmao:

if you paid $1500 for that gear you overpaid.
$1500 Canadian (probably close to $1000 US at the time), and I didn't overpay. I paid an agreeable, reasonable retail price in Canada for genuine products and I have a full warranty on everything (except for the Series E lenses, obviously).

D40, 18-55 - $500
55-200 - $300
35/1.8 - $300
Tripod - $250
Add in bags, filters, extra batteries, etc., and it comes to about $1500.

Personally, i've never had any problem with my Nikons. I've never noticed any 'lag' whatsoever.

Obviously you aren't happy with Nikon, so just make the switch already..

I have both the D300 and the D700, as well as my brother in law has a D40 so I have used all of them.

I will say that the D40 lacks speed no matter which of my lenses I put on it. It is a consumer grade camera meant as a step up from point and shoots.

If is still full featured and a very capable camera, and should you decide to upgrade your body to a Nikon could serve as a good backup.

The D300 AF system is much faster and the D700 even faster than the D300. You will find the same thing in all camera lines, the better the camera the better the auto focus. I will say I love the 51-point AF and the 3D tracking is cool when used properly. Jumping ship now will mean selling everything you have at a discount and having to buy it again in Canon. When it comes right down to it, have a close look at the real cost of transferring systems and it may not make sense to do it. Beside, the Zoom is backward on Canon Lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back