Getting it on!

jake337

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not sure what kind of fly this is but they were enjoying themselves...

5795652276_59bcd5dcc9_b.jpg

d90
tokina 100mm f2.8 macro
1/60
f22
sb600 off camera/diffused​

Last edited:
Nice capture!

Thanks. What in particular did you like ab out it.

It now seems dark and underexposed here on my work monitor. I think it could have benifited from a second flash camera right to fill their underbodies.

. I think it could have benifited from a second flash camera right to fill their underbodies.

That would help a bit. IMO you still wouldnt add much detail or interest to those "under lit" areas because of DOF limitations. I think the framing and head detail is good. The directional lighting adds some drama.

Maybe a tich down on the saturation.

looks like a Picturewing,, Tephritidae ? - Delphinia picta

Picturewing link

. I think it could have benifited from a second flash camera right to fill their underbodies.

That would help a bit. IMO you still wouldnt add much detail or interest to those "under lit" areas because of DOF limitations. I think the framing and head detail is good. The directional lighting adds some drama.

Maybe a tich down on the saturation.

Thanks. I'll try a re-edit when i'm home if my son gives me a chance. Or maybe a re-shoot because these guys are enjoying themselves all over this fence!

Also, if I wanted more DOF at this point, besides stopping down more, I would have to start thinking about focus stacking correct? Thanks for the comments, I've enjoyed going through your macro thread many times!

On a side note I've always been confused about something. So my exif info shows F22. But my tokina sends the effective aperture due to light loss to the camera. I've wondered if I'm at F22 here or f11. I know when I'm shooting at 1:1, and lets say I stop down to f36, my DOF is calculated at F18. Maybe I'll have to test this tonight as well. I'm really wondering what the camera records for exif, the actual or effective aperture.

looks like a Picturewing,, Tephritidae ? - Delphinia picta

Picturewing link

I believe you are correct. The photos from that site look dead on to what my eyes saw.

Anything higher than about f16 and you start getting light diffraction. While you may add DOF it will be at the cost of sharpness. Its all about finding a happy medium.

Or, yes, you can go to stacking. :thumbup:

Anything higher than about f16 and you start getting light diffraction. While you may add DOF it will be at the cost of sharpness. Its all about finding a happy medium.

Or, yes, you can go to stacking. :thumbup:

Ok thanks. I don't think I'm ready for focus stacking, well not with moving subjects yet. Do you stck handheld?

Not atm. The R1 doesnt recover fast enough to shoot a close series of images. Im thinking of modding the units to take a larger capacity battery pack.

So are you using a focusing rail right now and just stacking still bugs? Man I can't wait to get home from work. it was sooo slow today I had time to make a diffuser for my sb600 similar to what nate s. used. I think I got some decent shots!

Wow, you caught some furious humpage.

Wow, you caught some furious humpage.

If i can pick up a wifi signal at home tonight there will be some more. Except some kind of green beetle.

So are you using a focusing rail right now and just stacking still bugs? Man I can't wait to get home from work. it was sooo slow today I had time to make a diffuser for my sb600 similar to what nate s. used. I think I got some decent shots!

No rails or stacking. Just handheld.

No rails or stacking. Just handheld.

Woops I could have swore you focus stack. My mistake.

Most reactions

Back