Getting Used To Your Camera

Yea as the other said get out there once you get it and shoot as much as possible. Also check out "The Digital Photography Book" By Scott Kelby. It's great for beginners that want to become good photographers. It's easy to understand and works great for DSLR's and P'N'S's. I'm on my second time through it.

Ive had my camera for a little less than a week, and my photos are getting there...But still not even close to where Id like them to be. To dark and overall not what Id hope to accomplish after shooting so much, blah I feel you man.

These are just a couple pictures that I liked out of the hundreds.

Rebel XTi 17-85mm

467930567_4bd0ac90ab.jpg

467989147_22b953eb8b.jpg

467930553_0db4455e1f.jpg

I started using manual mode on the first day I got my XT and I took horrible pictures. My girlfriend who loves photography has a little Kodak easyshare P&S said that my photos looked really good. I guess the camera impressed her there with it's large sensor, low noise, and shallow depth of field.
As I shoot with it, I get happier and happier with every batch of photos. I normally shoot in Program mode for speed, aperture priority for artsy photos, and Manual when AV or TV can't get the desired effect. I meter one stop down on exposure compensation with center weighted average. I separate exposure lock and focus lock. Hope that helps.

Ive had my camera for a little less than a week, and my photos are getting there...But still not even close to where Id like them to be. To dark and overall not what Id hope to accomplish after shooting so much, blah I feel you man.

These are just a couple pictures that I liked out of the hundreds.

Rebel XTi 17-85mm

your pictures are fine, there are just some small adjustments you need to be making.

Picture one, a levels adjustment and maybe a small contrast/saturation bump would help that picture a ton.

Picture two, the white balance is the main problem here. Use tungsten white balance when shooting under normal light bulbs.

Picture three, looks like you were using evaluative metering? The picture is exposed to average the scene but the reflection from your coin is much brighter than the rest. Since it is small it doesn't get enough "weight" in the evaluation and gets overexposed. exposing it properly would underexpose the rest of the shot though, so pick your poison.

I really like your first one of the controller, looks like it could be a great stock photo.

As for getting used to the camera, read the manual often, and experiement with custom settings, or whatever you canon users call them:lol:

try out different things and learn what your camera does (ie. evaluate the scene making your small subject underexposed or over exposed, depending on the rest of the scene). Really experience is the best for this.

your pictures are fine, there are just some small adjustments you need to be making.

Picture one, a levels adjustment and maybe a small contrast/saturation bump would help that picture a ton.

Picture two, the white balance is the main problem here. Use tungsten white balance when shooting under normal light bulbs.

Picture three, looks like you were using evaluative metering? The picture is exposed to average the scene but the reflection from your coin is much brighter than the rest. Since it is small it doesn't get enough "weight" in the evaluation and gets overexposed. exposing it properly would underexpose the rest of the shot though, so pick your poison.

I really like your first one of the controller, looks like it could be a great stock photo.

As for getting used to the camera, read the manual often, and experiement with custom settings, or whatever you canon users call them:lol:

try out different things and learn what your camera does (ie. evaluate the scene making your small subject underexposed or over exposed, depending on the rest of the scene). Really experience is the best for this.
Sweet, my first photo advise :wink:

Thanks very much for the suggestions I will play around with a couple of the photos when I get photoshop, and my cameras settings of course. ;) Any chance you or some1 else could show me through photoshop how I would make the picture look a bit better?

I have yet to take the plunge on buying photoshop, or getting a crack for it..so any help would be appreciated.

BTW: If this is a thread hi-jack I wouldn't mind movingggg it along :thumbup:

I recently bought a Sony DSC-H5, thought would get a Prosumer Camera to practice first before getting a DSLR. It took me around a week or so to get used to all the settings. But to get optimum results I still need to learn lots about exposure.

Sweet, my first photo advise :wink:

Thanks very much for the suggestions I will play around with a couple of the photos when I get photoshop, and my cameras settings of course. ;) Any chance you or some1 else could show me through photoshop how I would make the picture look a bit better?

I have yet to take the plunge on buying photoshop, or getting a crack for it..so any help would be appreciated.

BTW: If this is a thread hi-jack I wouldn't mind movingggg it along :thumbup:

If you cant afford photoshop (like me), www.gimp.org offers a free program very similar to PS, perfect for tweaking things. Do a search on "photoshop levels adjustment" for changing how bright a picture is, and you can basically just search and find tutorials for anything you need to learn, some explained better than others. If you choose to use GIMP and are having problems following photoshop directions send me a PM and I'll do my best to help out.

Sentinel, for exposure the most important thing you need to know is how your camera is working. If you dont understand the camera's meter you are going to have a hard time perfecting your exposures. You need to understand that evaluative metering of a subject in low light with the bright sky (or sunset) behind them is more than likely going to be underexposed, because the camera see's the scene as mostly bright, so it exposes more for that.

400d will slightly under expose anyway.. And if you are using auto (Green Square) when you half press the shutter the focus point that locks on to the subject will flash RED If the one that flashes is NOT the one on the subject, you will find that the subject will probably be out of focus. Try P mode and set the central dot up as the main focus point. Put it on the subject and things should be cool.

Most reactions

Back